Thread: 220gr Hornady 8mm (.323) bullets?

Question 220gr Hornady 8mm (.323) bullets?

220gr Hornady .323 spire points. Anyone know anything about these bullets? Are they tough? Interlock or Interbond? They don't make them anymore but are still around. Were they made to handle Rem 8mm Mag velocities like the Sierra GK 220's?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I used the heck out of them when I had a 8x57. Worked like a champ with very good expansion and weight retention for the velocity range.

In the days before 8mm Noslers, I loaded them and the Sierras for two friends' 8mm mags. Both report excellent results with better weight retention than the Sierras. Second hand reports, but they didn't change even after Partitions became available.

I hope they work cause' thats what I got for my 8mm rem mag
    I hope to have an answer for you some time mid-sept!

Jake

Again, second hand reports, but the two rifles and Hornady 220's have quite a few moose, elk and even a brown bear to their credit. No complaints, and even though the guys are loading their own now, they stick to the Hornady's.

Are these boat tails like the Sierras?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

No, they're flat based. I'm a little leery of boattails shedding their core on hunting bullets, having it happen before with early Sierras, so I tend to shy away from them. Love them for match work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    No, they're flat based. I'm a little leery of boattails shedding their core on hunting bullets, having it happen before with early Sierras, so I tend to shy away from them. Love them for match work, though.
    Hmmm, I did'nt know this could be an issue with BT's. I recovered an accubond last year that looked good. Anyway, thanks for the info and I may have to try some of these Hornady's. I finally got some 220 GK's loaded up for my 325. 3 different loads but haven't had time to hit the range yet to see how they group.