Thread: Question for you Swede Mauser lovers

Default Question for you Swede Mauser lovers

I had a M-1896 Swede mauser at one time, but let it go before I really got to experiment with it. (insert word moron here)
    So I have been looking for another,,, this time I was think about a M-38 carbine...
    The 96s had wonderfull machine work, so how are the 38s?
    Any huge difference in the sights or accuracy other than the sight radius of course...??

I have not seen any for sale in awhile, so I wonder if any of the importers are still selling them??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Love the Huskys...

Well, I is one. The M38's were made by Husqvarna from 1941-1943, (Approx.) They are the same action with a different barrel and different sights and a bent bolt. They have a 23.6 inch barrel and a different rear sight with a "T" on it for Torpe (spitzer), the 139 grain spitzer bullet. The barrels have a 8 3/4" twist (approx., it's metric).The M38's were built for the 139 grain spitzer.

I have owned several Swedes, M94, M96 and the M38's. M38's were made by Husqvarna and the others were made at the Carl Gustof Gevars Fabrik. Swedish State arsenal. The Huskys are of the very best fit and fnish of any military rifle even better than our Springfields and Krags, or at least as good. The rifles and caliber have a very well earned reputation for accuacy. The 38's are light and very nice handling with good sights. Many are still around in very good condition and can be found for abou $400-$600. They are the nost expensive of the military bolt rifles. Well worth it, in my opinion.

As a side note I want to say a little more about the Swedes for sale. The M96's were rebarreled to the shorter barrel for the spitzer bullet. This was done from about 1941 to 1944 after the change to the 139 grain load. There were a lot of M96s around and they weren't worn out so they were upgraded. This work was done in various places, and these rifles are known as M96/38, though no such official designation was ever given, some were stamped as such by importers. Basically a M96 action with a new barrel and in some cases new stock, etc. These are Gustof actions, they are not Husqvarna actions. All M38s are made by Husqvarna. You will see many M96/38s for sale as M38. They are ok but if they don't say Husky they aren't M38's. They will also have a straight bolt and are sometimes referred to as "cavalry models" this is mule muffins. There is no cavalry model. There were a few M38's that were given a longer 29.1 inch barrel (the same as the M96's) and some folks refer to these as M38/96's, here again no official designation ever existed, but are referred to as "infantry models". It was also speculated that these were for long shooters of the era.

Try to remember the role Sweden played in both WW I and WW II. Not exactly in the forefront of battle. These rifles were for the Swedish defense forces. The rifles are well made and rarely used. Look a while and you can find a true M38.
    Last edited by Murphy; 07-16-2007 at 17:17.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I saw a M-94 on Guns america for a huge amount of money. They guy marketing it claimed it was a 94 cavalry carbine...

I will keep looking around for a true M-38, let me know if you hear of any..

Default Me too...

The last original, all matching number M38 I had, I sold for just shy of $700. I believe they can be had still for around $400 from a few of the importers.
    My understanding of why the European rifles of the era mostly were equipped with at least 29" barrels and bayonets pushing 24" was that they made a better pike when the ammo ran out. You sure didn't want your troops to be in a sharp stick fight if they had short sticks.....or something like that.
    Anyhow, my M38's shot the commercially available 140's about the best, had to seat the 129's out a ways, somewhere around 3.11 or so, and then they shot well, the rifles would also accomodate the 160 Hornady or Sierra just fine.
    The 6.5X55's I had the best performance out of though, were rifles I put together with the K. Kale marked Turk 98's and new replacement M38 Husqvarna barrels. Two of them I did up as 18" carbines in XXX grade walnut full length stocks. Purty little things, and used one to drop a Wyoming antelope on the run with a brain shot out around 100 yards. The Turk 98's are large ring actions set up to use the small ring diameter barrels, they thread right on, AND, the actions will take all of the aftermarket scope bases, triggers, magazines, stocks etc. that are made for the 98. Also get the third safety lug (for whatever added value that might be worth) and a much shorter and quicker striker fall.
    There IS, however, a push feed Model 70 Featherweight chambered to 6.5X55 available in Idaho Falls and as I recall, he had right at $460 on it asking price with a nondescript scope/rings/bases on it. By the time a Swede or 98 is sporterized, you got more than that in it, and it'll never be more than a sporterized Mauser. Something to consider, as I've seen a few of these FW's recently, and occasionally an M77 Ruger lightweight rifle.
    IF you have to have an M38, they are still around. Best bet might be to keep an eye on the pawns and good used gun racks and for sale ads.

Some say that the Gustaf M 96 were better quality than the Husky 38. I doubt if there is any real quality difference. The 96/38 were all factory refits so they are at least as good as a 38 if they are more affordable. I believe the advantage of the 38 is that they are younger, the sights are regulated for the 139 grain ammo and the bent bolt although you will need to modify the safety if you want a low scope. Drilling and tapping kind of ruines it in my opinion. My 96 is gorgeous but has a metal plate with 'hold under' instructions out to 800m. Aiming 6 inches low at 100 yds is not really fun but a taller front sight sorts it out. I have tried a scout scopes which worked well for hunting and quick target aquisition for older eyes.

A classic swede is a lot of fun but a ruger 77 in 6.5 can be had for $699 if it's a sporter you are after.

I have sporters up the ying-yang...

If I can find a nice little swede carbine I will leave it 100% military.

I found a couple M-96 rebuilds that were being advertised as M-38s and a couple beat-up M-96s. Then I found one really nice (by the photos) M-38 but they want $700 for it....
    Wow they have gone up...

Another rifle that I wish I would have jumped n a few years ago was a M-98 FN Mauser Carbine that was made for ceremonial guard duty in Israel...
    It was in 308 and had a super nice blue job and a few very interesting engravings and stampings. I was visiting Nellis AFB and it was out near North Vegas. Unfortunately I could not buy it,,, as a visiting Alaskan...

Default swede mauser

www.samcoglobal.com
    try it, they list m38 rifles about 300.00 plus. I have one with the disc adjustable target sight, love it, 50 yards with rem ammo, five rounds .25 inches with issued sights, handy as heck................................

Funny you should mention them, i sent them a note early today asking about hand select.. no answer yet...

They just answered back, they only have fair-grade with cracks in the stocks...

Default swede mauser

I am very sorry to hear of that, am afraid to see the prices of the same at local gunshows

I have a Oberndorf "1900" M-96 on the way here....
    I am all on edge waiting to see what it looks like when it arrives.....
    It has the long 29 inch barrel and everything is matching , including the cleaning rod, (except the rear sight)

And get this,,, for some reason it has a turned down bolt handle,, but the bolt serial number matches the action and other parts...
    makes me wonder what happend there....

Default mauser lovers

Congrats Float Pilot!
    hope you enjoy the daylights out of your M96. Cannot wait to hear of you range experiences and hunting!
    I actually carried my M96 Gustav one year deer hunting in the Uwharries of NC.
    I personally ended up using it as a walking staff (steel butt plate), worked great, actually felt balanced in the and while walking.
    Again Good Luck, looking forward to your posts.

Thanks, I asked for some good accurate handload info on the reloading thread. I am looking for target loads for the Mauser Match...