Thread: Caribou Hunting With Trailers

Default Caribou Hunting With Trailers

This is only my second family hunting trip with Mountain Bikes but I have learned a lot and thought I would share. We have three trailers in our arsenal and all have their advantages as do the different sized bikes we take. We went up an old winter road in the Yukon about 10KM and saw no caribou but loads of grizzly scat including some with hair in it so someone is being successful hunting!

My Bike is a Cogburn I got on sale locally. It's a pretty good steed but the 4" tires offer a lot of rolling resistance uphill. Downhill it's a beast and very sure footed through rough stuff. The trailer is a Wike's Bike kit. It is rated to 150 pounds and carries this pretty well. I did have some rivets from the hitch pull out on the trip and needed to fix with dwarf willow pins and duct tape. I put the tires too centrally on the 4 foot bed and it would drag on ruts and rocks uphill. I have rebuilt it and now the tires are 8 more inches to the rear. much better! Here we are fixing the hitch.

My Son had an old Norco Big Foot with 2.25 inch tires. I think this is getting near the sweet spot for tire width. easier to take uphill than the beast of a Cogburn and still sure footed down hill. I'd love to try a 2.75 to 3 " tire! A really strong rider might be able to exploit a 4" snow bike in the mud and ruts but I'll likely never qualify. He had a Bob style trailer. The single track trailers have a lot of riding advantages in the ruts. the tires go where the rider goes and where I had to be very strategic with choosing a line for my wheels and the two sets of wheels on my trailer my son just road. However his trailer is rated at 70 pounds and while you could push this you could with my 150 pound rating as well. There is also not much room in his load with a few days of camping gear. If we had downed a caribou most of the weight would be taken home by the two wheel trailers. If someone made a heavy duty Bob style trailer I'd be in.

My daughter and wife had 2" tired bikes. Easy to ride until things got really rough. My wife had just paniers and my daughter took an old Cheeta kids carrier that makes a pretty good trailer that can handle 100 pounds. It has a great bag that can be used to store and organize lots of gear. The load gets vertical however and then the rig gets tippy. She had several tip overs that no one else experienced because of this. That being said a caribou leg or two would be at home in this rig and the rear bag was great for extra water bottles.

We did get to our glassing spot. I am confident that had we taken a Mountain caribou we could have got it out with our gear in one trip (about 250 pounds of meat). Loaded like this we would have needed to walk most of the way however. I think the Wike's Bike kits probably make the best trailers I have seen to date though a higher capacity (150 pound) Bob style trailer with twice the cargo space would would beat it!

Can't wait to get out again! The pictures we didn't take are when the riding was fun and we got some glide. Making 3 kilometers in 20 minutes seems glorious after hard slogging. One thing that helps is for everyone to have paniers and other bags on their bikes. Nice to have places to stash gear that have easy access.

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnyjx6CmByw

Have done another trip with the trailers. I have to say the rougher and steeper the trail the more you want a single track trailer. Also the baby carriage trailer becomes unusable on a rough trail. The center of gravity has to be low.

With a single track trailer you just ride with a bit more resistance. With a two wheel trailer even if stable you need to worry about the center bike wheel placement as well as the two wheels of the trailer. This can be difficult in deeply rutted or slanted trails. I wish there was a beefier Bob style trailer set up for wide tired bikes on the market.

Also the big 4+" tired snow style bikes do have some advantages on really rough downhills. The wide low pressure tires allow for a very stable ride and increases safety on steep, rough descents. You pay for it uphill though with increased weight and rolling resistance. I think a 3" tire would be a good compromise.