Thread: Kids fishing - what age do they need a license?

Default Kids fishing - what age do they need a license?

My son is 13 and a non resident. I read that persons under 16 do not need to purchase a license. Is this true for non residents as well? Also, is he allowed to keep his own limit or is he fishing under my limit as they do in Canada. I appreciate any input.

Looking at the regs, anyone under 16 (res or non-res) is not required to have a fishing license. He will have his own limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Fishing View Post
    My son is 13 and a non resident. I read that persons under 16 do not need to purchase a license. Is this true for non residents as well? Also, is he allowed to keep his own limit or is he fishing under my limit as they do in Canada. I appreciate any input.
    Under 16, from anywhere, don't need a license. He doesn't need a king stamp. He does however need a harvest card. His limit is his own, not part of yours or vice versa. The size of his catch and possession limits are the same as for everybody else.

Brian

Thank you gentlemen. I was looking at the regs and they said it was 16 but said nothing beyond that so I thought I would ask a quick question. When we fish Canada, he doesn't have to buy a license but he can't keep a limit either. Because of that law, he has had his own licence since he was old enough to land a fish. Thanks again for your response.
    Edit: Harvest card? I'll have to look into that because that is something I haven't heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Fishing View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. I was looking at the regs and they said it was 16 but said nothing beyond that so I thought I would ask a quick question. When we fish Canada, he doesn't have to buy a license but he can't keep a limit either. Because of that law, he has had his own licence since he was old enough to land a fish. Thanks again for your response.
    Edit
    : Harvest card? I'll have to look into that because that is something I haven't heard of before.
    sorry Im new to editing quotes. a harvest card is a record of your catch and something that you should carry with you even if you have a licence. It is somewhat of a journal that your son can keep to show where and what he has caught and or if he has caught anything on that day. I was told about the journal idea and i am starting to get into the whole idea. that way you can plan your good days of fishing in the years to come.

Default Harvest card

A harvest card is only required when keeping fish that have a seasonal limit like kings (5 per year in fresh water). There are a few other fish that need to be recorded like rainbow trout and steelhead in some waters since you are only allowed 1 or 2 over a certain size depending on the river.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....