Thread: European mount with velvet

Default European mount with velvet

My daughter got an opening day 8pt here on Kodiak. I have the skull skinned, and put in the freezer. I really want to have a European mount with the velvet on it. Is this feasible? I would probably have to ship it somewhere.20170801_092702.jpg

I have read and experimented extensively and come to the consensus you have 2 choices.

Option 1: cut off antlers and freeze dry or chemical antler in velvet tan the cut off antlers. Clean skull by preferred method-beetles, or maceration. Then reattach antlers with two rods to prevent spinning of antler around one rod.

Option 2: Beetle or macerate the skull like normal. Once complete, repair antler tips with apoxie sculpt and then have artificial antler velvet sprayed on.

Any other option cooks/rots the velvet and ruins it.

Good luck, ask if you have other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one clean/maintain a velvet mount over the long term to keep it from being a ratty dust collector?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    How does one clean/maintain a velvet mount over the long term to keep it from being a ratty dust collector?
    Compressed air and feather dusters work great

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I have read and experimented extensively and come to the consensus you have 2 choices.

Option 1: cut off antlers and freeze dry or chemical antler in velvet tan the cut off antlers. Clean skull by preferred method-beetles, or maceration. Then reattach antlers with two rods to prevent spinning of antler around one rod.

Option 2: Beetle or macerate the skull like normal. Once complete, repair antler tips with apoxie sculpt and then have artificial antler velvet sprayed on.

Any other option cooks/rots the velvet and ruins it.

Good luck, ask if you have other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Option #3, cut off the skull plate like you were going to do a shoulder mount. Clean off the skull plate and the immerse the plate/antler in methanol for about 2-3 weeks. Once done pull them out let dry. Order reproduction skull and attach the preserved skull plate/antlers. Blend seam with white apoxie sculpt.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer