Thread: Driving through canada questions

Default Driving through canada questions

I need to drive through canada to Washington soon. My passport is expired. I heard there is a certificate that I can get to travel to lowly 48 and back???? I searched customs website and found nothing saying anything about a certificate..

i think only a new passport will be accepted.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    i think only a new passport will be accepted.
    That's the consensus it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    I need to drive through canada to Washington soon. My passport is expired. I heard there is a certificate that I can get to travel to lowly 48 and back???? I searched customs website and found nothing saying anything about a certificate..
    http://bfy.tw/DKw5
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Would it work for you to take the car ferry from Whittier to Bellingham? You never touch Canada, so a passport is not required.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

My passport is expired.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...rts/renew.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Three years ago I could not find my passport for a trip to Oregon. I took my birth certificate, DL and military I.D. All are listed on the Border Patrol web page as acceptable I.D's. for crossing the border. I had no issues at either border.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Three years ago I could not find my passport for a trip to Oregon. I took my birth certificate, DL and military I.D. All are listed on the Border Patrol web page as acceptable I.D's. for crossing the border. I had no issues at either border.
    I have heard that from many people. I am very tempted to try . However, if they say no then I'm in a tough spot.. I'm just gonna expedite my passport tomorrow to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    Would it work for you to take the car ferry from Whittier to Bellingham? You never touch Canada, so a passport is not required.
    It would except on the way back I'm dragging a 34' trailer.....

This is the best choice. My understanding is that the real problem is, if you leave America, you can not get back into America without a passport. I think that you will need Homeland Security approved I.D. to board a domestic flight after mid January. Current Alaska Drivers License is not approved, and they claim the approve ones will not be available till early 2019. I wonder if this applies to part 91 and/or part 135 commercial operations.

.. I'm just gonna expedite my passport tomorrow to be safe.

We should have passports in time. If not, a few days delay is better than trying to get back into US.... I also found out with tribal paperwork I do not need a passport. And, the wasilla post office said as long as I have my receipt and supporting passport application docs that at this time they will let me back in. So it's been an informative journey. Best course of action however is to just suck it up and pay 220$ per passport....

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    This is the best choice. My understanding is that the real problem is, if you leave America, you can not get back into America without a passport. I think that you will need Homeland Security approved I.D. to board a domestic flight after mid January. Current Alaska Drivers License is not approved, and they claim the approve ones will not be available till early 2019. I wonder if this applies to part 91 and/or part 135 commercial operations.
    That's not true. The us won't deny a citizen, i've been in the same predicament before and got by with birth certificate, dl, and social security card. Canada won't let you in if you wouldn't be able to get out. If your neevous you can call ahead to the border post your going through and let them know ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    That's not true. The us won't deny a citizen, i've been in the same predicament before and got by with birth certificate, dl, and social security card. Canada won't let you in if you wouldn't be able to get out. If your neevous you can call ahead to the border post your going through and let them know ahead of time.

Well.......I an very happy for you. But that was in the past, and I am happy that it worked for you and others. My point is what is in the future. There is a clear schedule mandated by U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security for everyone, including children to have approved I.D. (what was in the old days called "Your Papers Please"). Alaska and many other states have balked at this, for varying reasons. Alaska will have DHS approved Alaska Drivers License's in early 2019. The day is coming (SOON) when having several documents as you and others have done in the past.......simply will not work. What has kind'a worked in the past......is not going to work in the near future. The documents that you and others have used, are easy to fabricate, and many illegal people in America have those same documents, only theirs are fake.

Well.......I an very happy for you. But that was in the past, and I am happy that it worked for you and others. My point is what is in the future. There is a clear schedule mandated by U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security for everyone, including children to have approved I.D. (what was in the old days called "Your Papers Please"). Alaska and many other states have balked at this, for varying reasons. Alaska will have DHS approved Alaska Drivers License's in early 2019. The day is coming (SOON) when having several documents as you and others have done in the past.......simply will not work. What has kind'a worked in the past......is not going to work in the near future. The documents that you and others have used, are easy to fabricate, and many illegal people in America have those same documents, only theirs are fake.
    ^ This.

Border requirements are always changing and it pays to stay abreast of the latest. I've never had serious issue entering Canada, but I've many times been hassled at the U.S. border when attempting to enter with less than a passport.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Supporting Member

Yep you are right , things have changed in the last year. Looks like a passport or fancy approved travel cards are required to get into the us from canada from now on.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ^ This.

Border requirements are always changing and it pays to stay abreast of the latest. I've never had serious issue entering Canada, but I've many times been hassled at the U.S. border when attempting to enter with less than a passport.
    If I get hassled at the border most of the time it's upon reentering the states. Nevee had more than thorough questioning when going into canada. Seems like 1/3 of the time re-entering the states I get pulled aside and my vehicle gone through. The one time I dide it without a passport neither border blinked, but I was going through beaver creek and haines.