Thread: .308 bullets for caribou

Default .308 bullets for caribou

Im hoping to get out for caribou this year and my longest range rifle at the moment is .308. I load my own and I'm looking for a good bullet. Any suggestions on manufacture and weight?

180 Swift A Frame

Barns X family, Swift Scirocco, or any bullet your rifle shoots well.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Any 150 or 165 grain is more than enough, Nosler AccuBond, Hornady SST or Sierra Game King are all good examples

I used the red box Federal Premium with Nosler Partitions in 180 gr last year for caribou. 277 yards, he walked 10 feet. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything in the state with it.

I load Sierra 165's for caribou. Caribou are not hard to harvest and any good bullet will get the job done. I do use some of the top end bullets for my large caliber, but they are not needed in most cases for caribou.

I had an interesting experience with a .308 a couple of years ago that had a spread of about 18 inches at 100 yards. My neighbor is a big time reloader and he loaded up a variety of different loads using different amounts of different powders, all using 180gr nosler partitions. Got it down to maybe 12 inches, but nothing better. Went to a couple of different gunsmiths, no answers there either. Next we went to different weight bullets and different powders. Long story short at this point, my .308 is "made" for 160-165gr, ANY factory or handload 165 seems perfect. I had quite an education with that gun. Find the grain that works best, then go for the specific. Next, figure out your maximum comfortable distance to shoot, then look at the charts that show the energy out to that distance. That's where you begin and then go for the bullet that holds it mass at that distance and can penetrate.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I had an interesting experience with a .308 a couple of years ago that had a spread of about 18 inches at 100 yards. My neighbor is a big time reloader and he loaded up a variety of different loads using different amounts of different powders, all using 180gr nosler partitions. Got it down to maybe 12 inches, but nothing better. Went to a couple of different gunsmiths, no answers there either. Next we went to different weight bullets and different powders. Long story short at this point, my .308 is "made" for 160-165gr, ANY factory or handload 165 seems perfect. I had quite an education with that gun. Find the grain that works best, then go for the specific. Next, figure out your maximum comfortable distance to shoot, then look at the charts that show the energy out to that distance. That's where you begin and then go for the bullet that holds it mass at that distance and can penetrate.
    I should have mentioned my gun of choice is a ruger gunsight scout. Your statement above is something I've experienced with a couple handguns. I have not had the time to play with different powders and bullets and I'm pretty much done experimenting with powders, just too many out there and for what I do I can make one powder work well enough for multiple guns and calibers.

I would like to find someone in my area to experiment with and we can split the cost on different weight bullets and brands, anyone near Soldotna??

Up here, I can never get over the fact that you might bump a bear, so I always gravitate to a tough bullet. For reloading, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Barnes TTX in 150 or 165'grains. I wouldn't go heavier for caribou to maintain bullet expansion and decent trajectory.

Hard to go wrong with an Accubond, Partition or a even a Ballistic Tip "Hunting" in the 150 to 165 range.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Hard to go wrong with an Accubond, Partition or a even a Ballistic Tip "Hunting" in the 150 to 165 range.
    Have taken several moose with the 165 grain accubond. Fantastic round.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

First hand experience with a .308 on a small caribou at 250 yards using factory winchester 150gr silver tip bullets. Broke both front legs on a perfect side shot. Nice exit wound without fragments or a bunch of meat loss.

I personally like a better constructed bullet in case I find a more robust target. Read bear or moose.

I use the 168 TTSX hand loaded to 2650 fps. It did fine a big black bear less than 50 yard. Shot through the head. I would use it for a moose to 200 yards and a black bear again. Not sure about a Grizz.

For the .308 Win. I would look at the 165 grain bullet weight, specifically the Nosler Partition. It is a reliable bullet and should drift less in the wind then a lighter bullet and should give expansion at lower velocities on long shots. It also should work for moose or interior griz.

My little suppressed 308 does very well with the 165 Swift Scirrocco. It's a pretty sweet little combo.