Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 5 HP outboard

Default Best 5 HP outboard

I'm running a 4 hp Evinrude 2 stroke on my Clipper Mac Sport 18. It s a great running motor, except it doesn't have reverse.
    I'm going to up grade to a 5 hp next year. I'm looking at the Mercury or the Honda. Does anyone have any experience with either motor? Thanks Todd

Yes, have used the Honda 5hp as a kicker motor on my jetboat as well as fishing tin boats on small lakes. Great little motor, very good on fuel and pretty reliable. I'm looking at a low hours 2011 model right now as I sold my last one.

Also might be worth looking at the Yamaha F6 (I know you mentioned 5hp but...) Same engine/weight as the 4 hp range but quite a bit more jam when you need it. I have one pushing my 15' XL Kaboat and it's amazing - torquey, one pull starting, and great on fuel. Nice thing about the new Yamaha portables is you can lay them on 3 sides for transport.

Haven't used the Merc small engines but they are made by Tohatsu so you wont go wrong there. I think the Honda & Yamaha are the most reliable of the small outboards, though.

I have the Merc 5 hourse on my SJX runs great and doesnt burn any fuel nice little engine
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

they are all good it depends on the deal you get an where you get the work dun if you have some one else doing it this day an age they are all fine
    eng's as I see it cost an weight is what you need to know before you jump in a buy one , SID , PS, as an old timer on the river running
    what type of shear pin in the prop , as I don't like shear pins , I want the slip clutch in the prop, it is a safety thing , it will break just when you will need it the most if you run rivers at all, going on pounds , lakes , or large rivers, don't count ,

Honda 5hp uses a shear pin. Yamaha and Tohatsu are a slip prop. Not sure if the Merc uses the same prop as Tohatsu.

Tohatsu makes great motors. No issues with ours and was less than a Honda or Yamaha.

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by brombones View Post
    Yes, have used the Honda 5hp as a kicker motor on my jetboat as well as fishing tin boats on small lakes. Great little motor, very good on fuel and pretty reliable. I'm looking at a low hours 2011 model right now as I sold my last one.

Also might be worth looking at the Yamaha F6 (I know you mentioned 5hp but...) Same engine/weight as the 4 hp range but quite a bit more jam when you need it. I have one pushing my 15' XL Kaboat and it's amazing - torquey, one pull starting, and great on fuel. Nice thing about the new Yamaha portables is you can lay them on 3 sides for transport.

Haven't used the Merc small engines but they are made by Tohatsu so you wont go wrong there. I think the Honda & Yamaha are the most reliable of the small outboards, though.
    What kind of speeds are you getting with that Yamaha on the kaboat?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    What kind of speeds are you getting with that Yamaha on the kaboat?
    12-13 mph with myself, dog, fuel, and day gear, with the factory 7 pitch prop. Have got it going faster with higher pitch props but 7 is the sweet spot where it gets decent speed and can still push a 600lb load upriver without struggling.

I put a fin on the motor and probably lost 1mph but the boat runs nice and flat, and planes out instantly.

One more thing on the eng. you need a REV. on it, come around a bend fast in a small stream an a log is there you need all the help in the world
    to stop the rig you have , rivers , ponds , lakes, don't count, it is the small streams that will do you in, as I see it SID

Quote Originally Posted by brombones View Post
    12-13 mph with myself, dog, fuel, and day gear, with the factory 7 pitch prop. Have got it going faster with higher pitch props but 7 is the sweet spot where it gets decent speed and can still push a 600lb load upriver without struggling.

I put a fin on the motor and probably lost 1mph but the boat runs nice and flat, and planes out instantly.
    That's pretty decent.

Thanks for all the posts.

I was going to buy a Honda motor....but the place to get it serviced (if anything happened ) was too far away. So get the motor brand that is close enough to you...for service...Love my Yamaha 4 stroke.....and get a 4 stroke..no mixing,no smoke, no noise.

Most of the small outboards are single cylinder....noisy vibrating contraptions.

It's too bad the modern 4 stroke technology wasn't applied to the old Johnson/Evinrude
    motors of 50-60 years ago as they were quiet and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Most of the small outboards are single cylinder....noisy vibrating contraptions.

It's too bad the modern 4 stroke technology wasn't applied to the old Johnson/Evinrude
    You can still find the small twin cyl 2strokes, I have a 6 & 8hp. That is what I would put on a canoe. You can have your heavy gutless 4strokes.

I've still got my 3.5hp Evinrude Ducktwin with weedless drive......my 1965 cost was $155 new.......great motor.

I used the 4 HP Evinrude last weekend at Pymatuming. It ran great and didn't use any fuel, moved the MacSport around great. If it had reverse, I wouldn't think about another motor. I did have to use the oars a couple times to back it up.

4 cycle / 2 cycle some places will not let you use the 2 cycle , it has to be the 4 cycle in Alaska
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post

Beg to differ with the new Yamaha 4-6hp. Very smooth for a one-lunger, super quiet, and lots of jam getting up on step.. I think they're the biggest displacement of the 4-6 hp range. I've done quite a few 30-40 mile runs with mine and I dont get that vibration up my arm that turns your wrist numb, like some of the previous 4 stroke motors I've used. They are really nice engines.

The best 5hp engine is a 9.9hp two cylinder, two-stroke Tohatsu. Sure, I like 2-stroke smoke just as much as the next person...for the power, the price, and for the smoothness of running a two-cylinder (and all at 57lbs) I'll take it any day. It is orders of magnitude better than my Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke when it comes to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    4 cycle / 2 cycle some places will not let you use the 2 cycle , it has to be the 4 cycle in Alaska
    SID
    not where I live in Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast