Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 5 HP outboard

south central has a river that has it, SID [ Kenai river I think ]

I start by saying that I have owned several smaller Honda outboards and have had good luck with all of them, the only exception being a 2014, 5hp that I bought used with approx. 15 minutes of run time on it. The guy I bought it from was selling it because he determined very quickly that it wasn't going to be big enough for his application. This motor was never a 1 or 2 pull starter (one time on Skilak lake it took me about an hour to get it started), and was very cold blooded. Sometimes it would take 10 minutes or so before you could put it in gear without it dying. After a season of dealing with it, I sold it and purchased a new 6hp Yamaha. The Yamaha starts with one or two pulls every time, and warms up very quickly. It will also push my fully loaded 18' cataraft across Skilak lake, to the upper take out, with just the full internal tank.

TB,
    I had same experience with a new 4hp Yamaha besides all the noise. So frustrated that I gave it away and they gave up on it too.

I thought the little Honda air cooled [2hp?] would be nice on my side mount on a canoe.......it actually worked quite well until I wanted to troll for a lake trout dinner.....at idle the ****ed centrifugal clutch goes out of gear....WTH?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12