Thread: Salmon Sharks

Default Salmon Sharks

Has anyone had any experience fishing Salmon sharks near Valdez & Cordova? What type of tackle set up do I need? I am thinking a Halibut rod & reel with 80 to 100lb braid? Wire leader and a 15/0 hook? Not sure if it's better to mooch or troll.

Fish Alaska had an article about it a year or so back. I'm sure a butt rod and 80-100# braid would be up to the task given a wire leader, but I'd be concerned about the drag on the reel getting smoked. Seems like you'd want a 6/0 or larger sized reel to get a beefier drag.

In the article they put out a large chum bucket, and trolled with plug cut silver salmon. Just a reminder, if you use salmon as bait, it can't be sport caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    ...Just a reminder, if you use salmon as bait, it can't be sport caught.
    Unless you're using Pink or Chum salmon in SouthEast...

There's also a great thread (with pics) floating around here in the Fishing forum regarding salmon sharks... search around a bit - it's about time someone dug that thread back up! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charterboat Operator

we got one to the boat a few weeks back using an 80 # diawa interline rod, penn 113 hlw reel and 100# power pro. no smoked reel and definitly sufficient in the drag area. definitly hook up a 15-20 foot steel leader as I watched the shark twist under the boat and actually cut the line with its tail.
    Good Luck

Default sharking

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    we got one to the boat a few weeks back using an 80 # diawa interline rod, penn 113 hlw reel and 100# power pro. no smoked reel and definitly sufficient in the drag area. definitly hook up a 15-20 foot steel leader as I watched the shark twist under the boat and actually cut the line with its tail.
    Good Luck
    Here is the thing with sharks... Most types and especially salmon sharks tend to spin and wrap up in the leader and line. Using single strand wire will often cut fins. Other wire will chaff sharks that roll. It's important to keep constant steady pressure on the shark, and to do your best to "reel through" a rolling incident. You will feel the shark spin. Technique is extremely important in landing and successfully releasing these guys. Many sharks are landed tail first because they spin up the line. I'm sure you could land one with 50# line... but how many will be lost first? I think this could be a serious cause of shark mortality as more fishermen target them. Sharks spun up in 20' of leader and line will likely drown and die. You have to be ready and take it seriously or you will lose a lot of sharks this way. I suggest using 150# at the min and 1/16 or better cable with a circle hook. I use Internationals because of the smooth drag. Especially when they spin, the fight is really eratic. A sticky drag may lead to a broken line. I have had 114HLWs get hot. On the other hand, some just seem to swim to the boat.

As far as eating goes, it has the consistancy of swordfish and is otherwise similiar to other sharks (not as good as a mako). If bled, iced, and taken care of thereafter, it is pretty good. Not good enough for me to want a freezer full though. If you bring it in on the deck with no ice you'll probably wind up throwing it away.

Please do your best to respect the resource as well as other fishermen out there. Good luck.

Do folks bleed and gut a caught shark immediately (soon) after catching it?

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Do folks bleed and gut a caught shark immediately (soon) after catching it?
    A charter friend of mine has told me that you should bleed and gut IMMEDIATELY after they're caught. They release a urea into their system or something like that. He said soaking the meat in buttermilk before cooking helps.

Default Salmon Sharks

Thanks for your input. I plan on catch and release fishing. I also found an article on this site.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/sharkhunt.htm

i or actually the party i was with helped me land a salmon shark 2 years ago off hinchenbrook and i am emphasizing the we landed because it was easy to get the shark to take the bait but after loosing about 10 or so we doubled up our steel leader and harpooned it when it we finally got it close enough to the boat. then killing the darn thing is another story.

the key to shark fishing or i should say shark catching is finding them. you will need to be prepaired to move around a lot till you can find them. we were cruising several area's and we actualy ran over one and bent our prop a bit before we found them.

if you want to show it off to all your buddies at work or on the dock's the meat is not going to be any good. if you gut it and clean it right away it is edible at best.

bring a camera and video the hole thing!

yea, you're right. shark fishing is cool but i tend to do the ole' catch and release with them... they have a different taste and i like them a lot but there is so much meat to freeze that if i can't find someone to give it away to, i find it gets wasted. sometimes i give used fish to the zoo. they take pretty much anything if it's not too bad.

So after you get the shark to the boat, how to you release it? I would imagine that the hook would be set really good, and next to all of those nice sharp teeth.

You will have to be very very carefull when you reach your arm way way down in that throat to pop the hook out !!!!!!!!
    just kidding, you will need good steel leader cutters and just leave the hook in.

and i would agree with the catch and release, if you want a set of jaws i would go to a tourist shop for that.

Does anyone know where i can buy whole pink salmon?

Thanks

Default release

If you use a circle hook, it is almost always in the corner of the mouth or in the skin on the outer mouth. I have been able to knock the hook out of a few, but most of the time I just cut the leader within a few inches of the hook. Stay away from J hooks and double J hook rigs. You can not beat a circle for hooking up if you give it enough time to work properly.
    Although you must be extremely careful, I haven't had too much trouble in many releases. Most of the time they aren't too aggressive at the boat. Remember to keep momentum during the fight and try to land the shark asap. A long fight usually ends with a tail wrapped shark which will probably not make it-- especially when wrapped in wire. Along with the rolling problem, there is a potential latent mortality issue from overheating and stress during the fight. Simply put, some sharks are known to have heart attacks from fight related stress. This could be a factor here.

Properly cared for (and that is key), salmon shark is delicious. Yes, you end up with a lot of meat but I've had no problem trading it with friends for other fish and game meat I don't have in my freezer.

When I was in Valdez a couple of weeks ago, a charter brought in 2 salmon sharks. I asked them how they bled it. They'd shot it in the head several times with a pistol and said that's how. They gutted it before bringing it over the gunwale to lighten the load. They probably had the sharks either hanging up at the cleaning tables or were working on filleting them (very leisurely while drinking beers that the family that caught the sharks brought them....bad move) for 2 hours. To me, that didn't look like the way the catch needed to be taken care of.

Default Shark viewing

I would rather load up on halibut and salmon.
    Our shark expedition to Valdez begins next Tuesday. Swifty made us a shark cage. Hopefully the weather and water visibility is good. Has anyone else been shark diving?

Talking

I produce TV shows for a living. Two years ago, I had Jim Teeny fly fishing for Salmon Shark in Port Gravina with Orca Adventure Lodge. He fought one for over 1 1/2 hrs before breaking off. Too much fun. They were boiling everywhere.

I would luv to see video from this underwater cage you have!

Tim

Sharks love seem to hang out in port gravina in large numbers. I spent a whole afternoon watching them jump completely out of the water chasing salmon out there a couple of years ago.