Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haul Road Report 2017

Just came home last night from a nine day trip. Saw one cow with a calf from Atigun to Pump 2. Spent almost all of our time north of the new boat launch, Orange Road marker mile 46 to 26. Days of sun, rain, and light snow. Bog time fog at times. Never saw less than 100 a day, mostly cows with tons of calves :-) which were great to see. Had stocks of bulls every day. Frequently got within the 80 yard mark, just out of my comfort zone. Hard to find cover though as it's so flat. My last full day, blowing wet snow, three bulls came to within 100 yards of our night's camp. My best stock, but really wet and cold to get to them. Two of the three were obvious Pope & Young quality, both have shovels grater than 15 inches and fantastic bez. I had two quick opportunities on both the big boys, at 40 and 60 yards, but was unable to do a quick Range Finder and was slightly high on the close shot and low on the farther...bummer, but all my fault. Still, a great hunt. I would think the next couple of weeks will be great in the Franklin Bluff area, although there is quite a bit of road work going on. Tons of ptarmigan, muskox, red fox, and marmots (?). Airboaters not doing very well from the ones I talked to as the herd seems to be still closer to the coast. Rare to see any other hunters off the road, and only one truck ever stopped to say hi. A crew from Natural Geographic were up filming the Muskox, and once they got over w were hunters, I think they appreciated me telling them that the loan bull they were filming was only a mile from two large family groups, so they beat feet to film them. F & G was almost non existent this year. Got stopped once by a group of three that apparently were there mostly to try and stop air boaters from going on the Sag (without luck), saying that the could not travel on waters that came near/through ANWR...I don't have a boat, but from what I've been told is that they can not stop travel on a "navigable waterway" and the one guide told me he told them to pound sand as he had clients to take out (and they did not stop him). I don't think we had an night that got below +25F and the days were all in high 30s to low 50s. Wind is a constant, but generally only 5-10 knots. Some wet every day, but no days with wet all day. Snow never stayed on the ground more than part of a day. Tons and tons of road mud.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks for the update. Sounds like an interesting trip... Amazing that some people have nothing better to do than cause headaches for others.

Thanks! thinking about heading up next week to see if I can catch some bulls before they get too rutty. Struck out on moose this year and my sheep is being consumed at a pretty fast rate. Any other reports would be appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12