Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Need REPUTABLE Mercury OB Mechanic -or- Newer NON-Mercury Outboard

  1. #21
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Bass Pro in Anchorage does good work (and they're a Merc dealer). Not sure what their turnaround time might be.
    Talk to Jeff.
    Only if you want half a ssed service and stuff ripped off from your boat! NEVER again will I deal with Bass Pros boat service dept. Burkeshore Marina on Big Lake for my service needs and parts from now on. Top notch helpful guys over there!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Thanks for the heads-up, but sorry to hear of your misfortune.

    I think I wrote earlier in this thread of the thousands of dollars I've spent, often throwing good money after bad, locating credible, conscientious, skilled mechanics and parts people for ANY and ALL vehicles I've owned.

    And once I -find- them, sometimes a whole lot of Benjamins later, I try to treat them right; take them some awesome beer or (????) for Christmas, etc.

    The fellow who used to handle Subaru parts for me, and helped me in obtaining one of the last three factory short-blocks in the world for a vehicle I still own and for which we were doing a new engine build (as well as associated Subaru factory parts), all at a very reasonable price, I once called up and asked if he'd had lunch yet, then advised him not to make plans. We took him a hot, insulated plate of home-fried home-grown German butterball spuds from the garden, with a nice breaded and fried fillet of some Canadian-caught lake trout, and a nice sized steak of broiled top sirloin from a fatted, grain-fed angus we'd butchered.

    I still see him around town, though he nolonger works for the questionable folks he used to work for. But he's happy in his new managerial job, and there are -always- warm hand-shakes, smiles, and words of respect. Trusted relationships of mutual regard and respect often end up lasting many years, and too many businesses focused on maximizing the fleecing of customers in the immediate moment lose sight of that, and -eventually- often lose that business.

    I believe there's a very human side to effective capitalism and I've contended for many years that shrewd capitalism, lacking in mutual respect or a 'soul,' often leads to resentment and implosion eventually. (*Visions of Central America...).

    Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Only if you want half a ssed service and stuff ripped off from your boat! NEVER again will I deal with Bass Pros boat service dept. Burkeshore Marina on Big Lake for my service needs and parts from now on. Top notch helpful guys over there!

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Mark Torkelson appears to know his stuff on older Mercury motors. And my guess, though I don't know for sure, is that he knows far more than that.

    He was expeditious, honest, accurate, and thorough.


    Ended up being the stator was bad, rather than the CDI/switchbox.

    I motored around in a lake very close to his home, until I succeeded in provoking the motor to malfunction again, then he was Johnny-on-the Spot with the necessary testing to get to the bottom of it. So far, so good.

    My parts bag and tool kit will be larger the next time I take my son to a place as far out of the way.

    Now, if anyone knows of a long-shaft 4 to 6 hp kicker with a tiller that's been relatively well cared for........

  4. #24
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Iíve used Reeds in Fairbanks multiple times, all with great results. Reed is the largest dealer of Mercury's in the interior, so he knows Mercs real well. He really knows the old stuff as well. He has been around for a long time, and I know serval folks who live remote out of town who use him. He fixed several things on my last old Merc, and made her run like a top again. He has a dry sense of humor, but he is a good guy. Anyway my new boat has an ETEC on it now, so I probably wonít see him much after years of running Mercs.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  5. #25
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Mark Torkelson appears to know his stuff on older Mercury motors. And my guess, though I don't know for sure, is that he knows far more than that.

    He was expeditious, honest, accurate, and thorough.


    Ended up being the stator was bad, rather than the CDI/switchbox.

    I motored around in a lake very close to his home, until I succeeded in provoking the motor to malfunction again, then he was Johnny-on-the Spot with the necessary testing to get to the bottom of it. So far, so good.

    My parts bag and tool kit will be larger the next time I take my son to a place as far out of the way.

    Now, if anyone knows of a long-shaft 4 to 6 hp kicker with a tiller that's been relatively well cared for........
    Didn't see this post. Looks like you got it fix. Good deal.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Yep. But thanks for your input.

    As I said earlier, Reed knows Mercs pretty well, and he's a decent guy.

    My issue in a recent visit there was that he's training his son to do mechanic work, in sort of an OJT arrangement. And I realize that everyone's got to learn some place, some how.

    Reed is knowledgeable, as stated above, but he's running the counter for the most part, and I wanted someone with significant experience to be the one doing the wrenching on this motor. No intended sleight toward Reed in any way.

    Thanks for pitching in, though the problem was already resolved.... for now. ;^>)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Didn't see this post. Looks like you got it fix. Good deal.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    We resolved our need for a long-shaft kicker, though with a couple fewer ponies than I might've preferred.

    Delta Power Sports knocked the ball out of the park with their offer/bid on a 4-stroke, 4 hp, 20" long-shaft Honda, including a 3-gal. fuel can, and the fuel line/hose with quick-connect fittings, and a pressure bulb, for $949.00, saving us, all totaled, over $600 under most on-line listings for the same set-up.

    I suspect that a strong tide in Cook Inlet, relying on the kicker only, would have us lucky to simply tread water and hold our position. But in most lakes and conditions, whether simply trolling or requiring emergency power as occurred on our last outing, it'll suffice just fine.

    Thank you, Delta Power Sports!!!

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Well.. It was another week of Murphy following me a bit too close.

    I received a voice mail from Delta Power Sports this afternoon re. the 4-hp Honda kicker I'd paid for and ordered last week.. The screaming deal that seemed too good to be true, causing me to question the pricing they had offered 3 or 4 times, and asking for the quote in writing (which they' sent last week, and which I could've potentially used to try and force the original deal.... If I'd wanted to earn a more negative reputation and burn a bridge while at it. Which I didn't).

    It seems they were mistakenly quoting from last year's price on new old stock, no longer available. Their buyer down south caught the error.

    In apology, they offered me the motor at their cost, plus $100 set-up fee, raising the price $450 over the original agreement, which I still have in my e-mail.

    I opted for the refund instead, and within a 1/2-hour, I was offered a very nice current-year model 6hp long-shaft by another dealer whose motor is -in- town, for $99 more than the last offer on the 4 hp Honda (*The new offer is alleged by two mechanics I trust to be a better motor)

    The roller-coaster of life and boats continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    We resolved our need for a long-shaft kicker, though with a couple fewer ponies than I might've preferred.

    Delta Power Sports knocked the ball out of the park with their offer/bid on a 4-stroke, 4 hp, 20" long-shaft Honda, including a 3-gal. fuel can, and the fuel line/hose with quick-connect fittings, and a pressure bulb, for $949.00, saving us, all totaled, over $600 under most on-line listings for the same set-up.

    I suspect that a strong tide in Cook Inlet, relying on the kicker only, would have us lucky to simply tread water and hold our position. But in most lakes and conditions, whether simply trolling or requiring emergency power as occurred on our last outing, it'll suffice just fine.

    Thank you, Delta Power Sports!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •