Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need REPUTABLE Mercury OB Mechanic -or- Newer NON-Mercury Outboard

Default Need REPUTABLE Mercury OB Mechanic -or- Newer NON-Mercury Outboard

I have a 1988 Mercury Oil-Injection 35 hp long-shaft outboard, with remote/console steering and controls, that left us dead in the water with what -seems- to be (likely) either a CDI (switch-box) malfunction, or stator malfunction; in either case, running briefly, then cutting out and having no spark. (*Oil injection system has been removed, and is now hand-mix only*)

I know where to take my OMCs to, and it took me -years- of throwing good money after bad to find them. The one reputable Mercury guy I know of in the Interior (No, I probably don't know them ALL) can't look at it until next May.

I'm willing to drive around the State (i.e. Interior, Valdez, Anchorage, Kenai, etc.) to get this fixed or replaced, but need to know of, either, a REPUTABLE Mercury Outboard mechanic who can take this on SOON, or a NON-Mercury Outboard replacement motor in good to excellent condition (including either 2 -or- 4 stroke) in the 20-35 hp range.

Thanks.

Bass Pro in Anchorage does good work (and they're a Merc dealer). Not sure what their turnaround time might be.
    Talk to Jeff.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

Marine services in Homer is the oldest(and IMHO best) Mercury shop in the state.
    I have used them many times in the past with good results and they had great prices on parts other dealers couldn't match.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks. The more options, the better. I'll give them a call as well. I lived in Homer in the later 70s, up 'til 1980, when I moved north, and haven't gotten down that way since about two or three years ago, so maybe it's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Marine services in Homer is the oldest(and IMHO best) Mercury shop in the state.I have used them many times in the past with good results and they had great prices on parts other dealers couldn't match.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Marine services in Homer is the oldest(and IMHO best) Mercury shop in the state.
    I have used them many times in the past with good results and they had great prices on parts other dealers couldn't match.
    What he said...

Thanks.

Any vouching for resources already offered up, or reporting of those not yet mentioned, are all welcome. As are any leads toward a newer (than what I already have) non-Mercury outboard with remote steering and controls.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    What he said...

Try Reeds in fairbanks
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Thanks. I sent a comment in your rep notification.

Reed knows Mercs fairly well, but is largely a counter/owner guy. He was training his son in an OJT-type mechanic situation the last time I was in there.

But thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Try Reeds in fairbanks

Well, Murphy still seems to be following me rather closely, I guess...

I called Marine Services in Homer. They don't currently have an actual outboard mechanic on staff at the moment.. Just a person who changes oil or fluids in them.

So I then called Bass Pro Shop and spoke with Sebastian. They don't work on outboards older than 10 years. But they referred me to Burkshore Marine in Big Lake.

Burkshore doesn't work on anything older than 15 years.

Burkshore referred me to a former employee who reportedly recently moved back to the Wasilla area, and works for himself, by the name of Mark Torkelson. I'm to call him this Sunday about setting up a time/date to haul the boat down to his area next week.

On the brighter side, I was able to locate all of the suspect OEM parts (and then some), between Mercruiserparts.com and Seaway Marine in Lynwood, Washington, who had the now-obsolete and otherwise unavailable CDI/switchbox.

Sometimes recreating seems more difficult than I think it ought to be.

So.... Anyone with advice or further leads, whether for a mechanic/shop, or a good used outboard motor, PLEASE, feel free to chime in.

Imo you just got handed your sign that it's time to upgrade to a more modern engine. With some of the deadened you are running into, it'll be money well spent to find something more modern.

Antiques are expensive!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I'm not personally familiar with the fellow in Meadow Lakes, nor he me, but that appears to be the only current lead.

I'd like to dodge the $4,000.00 (+) bullet of putting a brand new 4-stroke 25 hp and related controls on the boat, if at all possible, though the thought of -new- equipment and a lengthy warranty, etc., are all appealing.

I figure that at the outside, I could spend between a grand and $1,700 thoroughly going through this motor, which would leave me a bit less than half-way to a new motor and controls.

There's a reputable Merc fellow up here who works for himself, but May, 2018 is a LONG ways away.

Cabela's just sent out an e-flyer this A.M. that I haven't yet gotten my 56k dal-up system to properly download their related (boating) site category to. It was initially going to be a source for potential down-riggers, but I noticed they're potentially offering some outboards on sale too.. maybe...

I thought that as we got older, the more random challenges were supposed to -decrease-? Instead I think I'm going to need a vacation to recover from my vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Imo you just got handed your sign that it's time to upgrade to a more modern engine. With some of the deadened you are running into, it'll be money well spent to find something more modern.

I honestly don't know if they do outboards or not but if Mr. Torkelson doesn't work out, you might call Professional Marine in Anchorage and talk to either Mike (owner) or Quincy (IIRC, marine mechanic). I've had outstanding service from them on other matters.
    Back in AK

I'm about 30 years older than my Merc outboard, and my wife would probably agree with your assessment. Especially now that I own a boat. ;^>)

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Antiques are expensive!

Thanks. I'll give them a call as soon as I finish my moose and garden-veggie hash; late lunch, chores still undone, and a LOT of time spent seeking mechanics or outboard replacement motors.

Got offered a fairly attractive price on a 4-stroke, long-shaft, 20 hp Suzuki, with power tilt and trim, electric start, cables and control box, installed, by Northern Power Sports. But still better than twice what I think I can totally refurbish the old Merc 35 for, if I can find a good mechanic.

One thing's for certain; the next time this boat goes to a semi-remote lake, my mechanical emergency kit will have a -whole- lot more in it than plugs, patch kit, spare prop, and a prop kit..

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    I honestly don't know if they do outboards or not but if Mr. Torkelson doesn't work out, you might call Professional Marine in Anchorage and talk to either Mike (owner) or Quincy (IIRC, marine mechanic). I've had outstanding service from them on other matters.

Well, in episode #15 of, "As the motor fails to run," with the belief that knowledge is power, and information is generally good ( and viewing this thread as a resource for the next unfortunate individual who unwittingly buys a failing Mercury Outboard in need of surgery), I called Professional Marine in Anchorage.

They don't do outboards at the moment, but they referred me to George at Anchorage Yamaha/Suzuki's marine dept.

George said they -do- outboards, but not outboards that old. George did say he knows Mr. Torkelson, and that he is a conscientious and knowledgeable mechanic, and that was helpful, and provided some sense of relief.

George also referred to Odie's (spelling?) Marine (in Anchorage?), though he couldn't say whether or not Odie's services my vintage and make of OB motor.

Stay tuned...

Or chime in.. Or even send a PM with the equivalent of a Wonka's Golden ticket to Archaic Mercury Nirvana... Or, post or message good info on an amazing deal on a 2000-vintage (give or take a couple years) reliable, used outboard set up for remote controls and steering, in the 20-35hp range.

** Delta Power Sports quoted a reasonable price for a 4-stroke 20 hp long shaft, Honda, with remote steering and controls, control box and cables, installed, for about $150 more than the bid I received on the Suzuki 20 hp with the same features and install service.

Not sure if J. Kimberly services has been mentioned or not but I believe he still does some tinkering on old outboards from his home. His old shop on Arctic blvd has been closed for a few years. I want to say I've seen an ad on craigslist saying he still does a bit of work. Again good luck!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Thanks. I sought service from them 10 or 15 years ago, at their old shop, for my 1975 9.9 hp short-shaft Evinrude, that still runs and trolls like a purring kitten, despite some play in the stator plate.

Ill look into that tomorrow.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Not sure if J. Kimberly services has been mentioned or not but I believe he still does some tinkering on old outboards from his home. His old shop on Arctic blvd has been closed for a few years. I want to say I've seen an ad on craigslist saying he still does a bit of work. Again good luck!

Couldn't readily find a home number for J Kimberly, but will look further later (my Anchorage phone book, like my outboards, seems to be outdated by a decade or two).

Odie's, like many others, doesn't do outboards. They referred to a reputable fellow in Willow who had been primarily a jet shop, but had spoken about getting into outboards. He's reportedly knowledgeable and conscientious, as well (*Patrick at Northern Marine in Willow).

Spoke with Cabela's, as they are handling Tohatsu, though locally, it's an order-in item only. Still, they can get a 20 hp long shaft, set up for remote steering and controls (but without the control box and cables, which they don't carry), electric start, and power tilt and trim, for $3,399.00, delivered.

By the time this is over, I'll have a mini-directory, with very few listings or pages in it, for those resources who still do quality work on older outboards around the mainland of Alaska, and/OR a reasonably priced new(er) 4-stroke motor on my boat..

Yes, it's become an occupation or obsession of sorts, but I suspect we WILL prevail eventually! ;^>)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast