Thread: Lake Creek

Default Lake Creek

I was looking for first hand knowledge for a Lake Creek float. I was looking at floating the section from Quiet Lake down to the Yetna with a buddy and calling for moose. I have not been in the area so any news is helpful.

Realize that Quiet lake is some distance from the creek so things would have to be transported down to the creek. Also, about 3 miles below the lake the creek has some class IV approaching waterfall for some distance. for certain you would not want to be carrying a heavy load through there; in fact you need to have some white water experience. The water depth can alter the difficulty of the bad stretch considerably. The lower portion is relatively tame. There is a lot of cover (brush and trees) on both banks and parts of it have a considerable climb up away from the creek. I have taken my canoe from Kenai lake to Skilak lake and this is more serious IMO. Even in a raft it can be challenging.
    Last edited by driveacub; 1 Week Ago at 22:10. Reason: additional info

On google earth I have noticed a couple spots that show rapids below Quiet Lake I wasn't sure how big that water was though. Thanks for the info.

I floated Lake Creek years ago. My brother and I took a couple of city slickers for a wilderness experience. They got one.

We started at Lake Chelatna. My memory is kind dim, but I do remember a long slow paddle to the creek. There were a couple of real white water rapids that need to be taken seriously. Do not try it in cheap rain gear. Stop and fish, there are some nice rainbows, silvers and older salmon to catch. I don't recall having trouble finding camp sites. I do recall that we saw only one moose, but we were fishing. It was moose season then, but we had tourists along.

It is a very doable float. If moose is the mission, I might look for more productive ground. Moose populations change so much it may have improved a lot. Calling would make a difference also. We had a blast and I am glad we did it.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I did a complete float hunting writeup on Lake Creek in my book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers". You might also check out Karen Jettmar's "Alaska River Guide" for more info. The whitewater sections are well-known and should only be attempted by folks with whitewater rafting experience. Floating it with a boatload of moose meat is going to be s challenge for even an experienced rafter. Moose hunting is only so-so out that way right now. There are many better places, but not many cheaper.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay