Thread: Lake Creek Float

Default Lake Creek Float

I'm searching as I type this and I'm going to continue to wade my way though the search function on here but I'm going to ask a general question that I can't find the answer for yet. I'm considering floating Lake Creek at the end of Sept for an any bull tag in 16B. Does anybody have first hand experience on this float that I could speak too. I don't have a lot of floating experience is this doable, I used to float the upper kenai a lot in rafts and drift boats but don't see how these compare to each other figure lake creek is smaller and may be a little rougher. I've found a bunch of info on people floating this river for fishing but not much on hunting it.

We met some guys who floated it fishing and flipped a raft upstream, lost some gear. We came up from the Su on a jet boat, at the end of Lake Creek maybe a mile from the river there is a 90 deg corner between two trees and pretty ugly even in a jet boat. We pulled into a slack water area on the side a walked up to scope it out. The farthest we went was maybe 12 miles up, and other than the corner on the way out it was good that far.

Default Lake Creek Float

I've hunted and fished it. We called in a small bull, and decided not to take him. I worried about heavy rafts and Class IV water. Would have shot a bigger bull. Lake Creek is a lot rougher than the Kenai. It requires whitewater skills and gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about just trying to float a section of the lower river possibly quiet lake to the Yentna.

Default Lake Creek Float

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I'm thinking about just trying to float a section of the lower river possibly quiet lake to the Yentna.
    Not sure where Quiet Lake is. The canyon section has up to 50'/mile gradient. If it's above there you'll still have whitewater, but miss some good hunting. I always tried to hunt after Sept 15 to take advantage of the rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of other options I've been thinking about was an Alexander creek float from the lake down to the river. I'm afraid this one will have a lot of
    company while I'm there. Or flying to Judd lake and floating to the talachulitna down until hells canyon and pulling out there. That section looks very flat and I'm not sure if the banks are high or if there's any spots to climb up and get a lay of the land still looking though.

I have not actually hunted it while floating. That being said, I have floated the creek three times. It is marshy along much of the creek and visibility from the river isn't good. You would have to get out and try to hike a short distance to someplace where you could see a bit. The condition varies a lot depending upon water depth. If it is low there are many rocks both above and slightly below the surface which can be challenging if the water depth is shallow. Once you get about 1/2 way down (Below Quiet Lake) you will find yourself traveling in a canyon with very steep walls on both sides. From that point on the water becomes challenging. At one point you will be in what is listed as class IV approaching waterfalls. That part comes upon you quickly and if you aren't prepared you will find yourself committed to rowing through, as the current is extremely swift with almost no place to exit. Although it may be possible to either portage around or line through the relatively short falls area, it isn't easy. Years ago I portaged around, and in the last few years I have floated through twice. At one spot I found it very hard to keep control with my rowing frame and long oars. It wouldn't be easy with a heavy load. I had only normal camping gear on board and all of that was suspended on netting and in plastic bags which were tied in. It isn't for the faint of heart in that section. The lower part is quite docile. In my younger days I had a lot of experience canoeing in fast water and that helped me with the rafting.

Thank you for the info

I used to guide fishing on the lower end of Lake Creek and have floated it about 40 times. All the information posted here is accurate. There's almost no visiblity thru the forest once you get below the treeline. It's a very technical float that requires some skill/experience. I've seen a few moose and plenty of bears but I wouldn't consider it a prime moose destination.

The technical part comes right after you would be putting in; Quiet lake area as everyone says not for the faint of heart.