Thread: CZ Rimfire Report

Default CZ Rimfire Report

A year ago or so I picked up a left handed CZ American 22 Rimfire. Beautiful, accurate rifle at a comparatively reasonable price. The problem for me was the typical European 2-stage trigger, topped off with a bit of creap.

Brownell's recently began offering replacement sears and trigger springs, and I opted to give them a try. My little CZ now brags a 2.5 lb trigger with zero take up and zero creap! Not an easy installation by any means, even with the detailed instructions provided by Brownell's, but worthwhile nonetheless.

My only regret is the discovery two days after I ordered from Brownell's that one of the aftermarket trigger companies (lost the reference, so can't pass it along) now offers a replacement trigger group for the rifle. It's at a similar price to the Brownell's parts (+/- $70), and would hopefully be a lot easier to install. If it also took care of the small overtravel remaining after the Brownell's installation, it would be a better solution all around. I'll track down the source if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a sweet little 22 that handles and carries like a CF rifle, give a visit to the CZ American. With an improved trigger, it will certainly please. This should get your attention: With almost any ammo I can stuff in mine, it consistently groups less than half an inch at 50 yards!

I sent my buddy to buy one the other day for his daughter... the price put him back in the car....
    Supposedly they have jumped up in the last couple months...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The CZs are sweet guns.
    I decided I wanted to get a nice rimfire bolt gun last year & picked up a Savege MK. 22 BV. It's a heavy barrel with a brown laminated stock & has the Accutrigger. I haven't done any adjusting on the trigger, just shot it as is, but it too will shoot well under .5" @ 50 yds, & I can hit golf balls @ 100 yds mighty reliably.
    They are loads of fun
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sorry to hear that the price has gone up, but delighted I got mine at any price. There just aren't any other quality LH 22's out there.

I had looked at the Savages, and in fact own both a Savage and a Marlin in 17 HMR. But for my 22 I wanted a lefty, and went searching. The Savage 17 is more accurate than both the Marlin and a friend's Ruger, so it's a real buy.

Default 452!

Eric Brooks Trigger Kits are only like 14 bucks for the cz and they come with great instructions plus a ton (like 4) springs and sears that are color coded for weight. You also get to deal with Eric himself for tech support! I installed mine in about 45 minutes being very carefull and doing all safe checks. Try rimfirecentral.com. there are really, some avid cz guys over there.

Check it out. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
    And trigger kit link. http://ebrooks77.50megs.com/

Jake

Great links, Jake. I note that it's springs and pins only, but that's still a heck of a price for 4 springs. One spring only from Brownell's was $12 as I recall. The sear was +/- $60, so that was the big bite. Nice to get rid of that European takup, though!

Default CZ prices

The prices on CZs at Great Northern Guns are pretty good, below retail.

Brown bear,
    Good post. Most left handers do not know of this rifle. I have one also and it is sweet. Been leaning towards changing the trigger out but have been waiting on the new Timney which is supposed to cure all the ails but it is in short supply.
    Another really nice left handed .22 is a Cooper. Much more expensive than the CZ but quality is outstanding.
    Gotta agree though that the CZ is the best bang for the buck out there for us lefties!
    CZ in Alaska gave some good tips on rimfirecentral. It is a great forum to visit. I ordered my extra mags over there for my CZ from a gent who is cheaper than the CZ store.
    Tennessee

There is a CZ 452 American, left handed rifle, new, at DUG and they're going out of biz. This can be bought for less than $300, maybe lots less.

This rifle is also made with the set trigger of the 527/550 and it is called the model 453. I'm with you guys this is the best made rifle of it's type , accuracy has no equal. They have caught on and prices have gone up a lot from the $200 intro price. I have six of these for kids rifles and two adult sized guns as well as a 22 mag version. Strong, durable and accurate.
    Last edited by Murphy; 07-18-2007 at 11:02.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I sent my buddy to buy one the other day for his daughter... the price put him back in the car....
    Supposedly they have jumped up in the last couple months...
    The 513 basic rifle is a five shot repeater and it is $200 the shorter kids "scout" is also $200 but just a single shot. The adapter can be replced with the same magazine as all of the 452s. I have four of these for grand kids and five round magazines for them. The basic is used for the bigger kids.

I want a bumper sticker that says: "My Grandkids can out shoot all Bad guys!"
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

That's an outstanding price Murph! If there was another lefty in the household, I'd jump on it in a New York minute.

Any other lefty out there looking for a classy 22 that shoots like crazy, jump on it. If you haven't handled a CZ American, they're better balanced than the Ruger 7722, while outshooting them by a substantial margin. Best of all, they handle and shoot just like a centerfire rifle, so they're incredible for shooting practice, even as they are about as good as it gets for small game.

BTW- You don't have to be a lefty to get the CZ American! They have righties, too.

I am probably the best customer that CZ has for their 22 rifle line. I have..... well I have lots of them counting the bunch owned by the grand kids. They make the very best training rifles for little tykes, my grand kids started shooting these things at age three, all could align the sights and hit clays at 25 yds. by the age of five. The single shots can be made into repeaters by adding a magazine.

I have a few that are older and marked "made in Czechoslovakia" and the rest are made in the Czech Republic. All with very good smooth cold hammer forged barrels. I had a Kimber, a Cooper and a Sako Finfire, and the CZ's shoot better groups and are not as picky with ammo. I sold all the pretty and pricey 22s and just went with the working model CZs.

Some complain about the safety, forward to safe, back to fire. I see no problem with that and it is a very positive striker holding safety. As for the kids, I don't use the safety when teaching. It is simplier and they don't get the impression that a gizmo called a safety will save them. The safety lever for all the kids rifles is between their ears, just like for adults.

We don't have loaded or unloaded guns, we have open guns with the magazine out, or we have closed guns. When we shoot the last round, we announce "clear" which means the action is open and the magazine is out and the muzzle is pointed down range, at rest, on the bench. Where is the need for a mechanical safety switch.

I couldn't agree more, I love mine also. I was just telling a buddy at work that out of all the rifles I own I carry my 452 with the most care. I dropped it last winter and put a scratch on the barrel. I almost cried Maybe I should like it less??? naaaaa...
    I have been thinking about buying a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in 204. Not to hugh jack the thread but are these as good of shooters as the little rimfires?

Jake

I don't have any firsthand experience, but a couple of friends (and knowledgeable shooters) who own them are all smiles. If and when CZ finally comes through with their lefthanded CF lines, I won't be waiting long to get firsthand experience!