Thread: C-206 crash near Lake Clark

Default C-206 crash near Lake Clark

Anyone know more?

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2017/07/28/pilot-killed-in-southwest-alaska-plane-crash/

The pilot, identified as Joel Black of Ohio, was the only person onboard the Cessna 206, according to a statement from Lake Clark National Park and Preserve.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the plane was operated by Regal Air and carrying freight.

It departed from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage and was headed for "a remote landing site in the Bristol Bay area," said Brice Banning, NTSB senior aircraft accident investigator.

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have met him on the creek. I know the weather wasn't the best but that's all I know. RIP Joe.

Meaning no disrespect for the deceased and not to divert the thread, but does anyone know if Regal uses more experienced / Alaska pilots for the passenger-carrying activities?

I've booked about 6 Outside guests with Regal near the end of August for bear viewing (the 1 at a time thing in the -12 doesn't cut it) and even if I'd be comfortable going with Regal (which I would be) after this incident, I'm already starting to get queries from my guests as to "Is this going to happen to me".

FWIW, same line of inquiry will be made to Regal in person by me next week.
    Back in AK

You can enlarge the photo and it sure looks like it went straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    Meaning no disrespect for the deceased and not to divert the thread, but does anyone know if Regal uses more experienced / Alaska pilots for the passenger-carrying activities?

I've booked about 6 Outside guests with Regal near the end of August for bear viewing (the 1 at a time thing in the -12 doesn't cut it) and even if I'd be comfortable going with Regal (which I would be) after this incident, I'm already starting to get queries from my guests as to "Is this going to happen to me".

FWIW, same line of inquiry will be made to Regal in person by me next week.
    Natron Air in Soldotna if they would rather have a local. Tim does a great job with his bear viewing flights.

Who said he was low time. Was there a new info release?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Who said he was low time. Was there a new info release?

Kinda tough for a 22 year old pilot to have 1000's of hours under his belt. He may be the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Kinda tough for a 22 year old pilot to have 1000's of hours under his belt. He may be the exception.
    ^^^^ Knowing what assuming is / means, and readily admitting to an assumption, the above was the basis for my "more experienced" question.
    Back in AK

I did not see the 22 years old part.
    Although..... I have had a couple students who started taking lessons around 14-15 years old and soloed at 16 plus one hour. One gal had 300 hours when she earned her private at age 17 and one hour. I do not remember how many hours she had when she earned her commercial and CFI and later ATP.

But you are correct that those pilots tend to be the exception these days.

Until an investigation determines the cause of the crash there's little reason to speculate that the pilot's age played any role in this accident. Regal is a well respected air taxi with a good record and good equipment. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them, and sometimes do.

Condolences to the pilot's survivors and the Regal family.

That is for sure and for certain... All sorts of things could have happened.

Totally agree. Used to fly with Regal for many years. Good outfit. Life doesn't always turn out the way you want it. Fly safe everyone!

I was 11nm SSW of Miller Cr. at this time. I was doing my flight planning to get out that morning. It was some of the best WX we had seen in 3 days. All of the cameras were good except for The East side of the pass. It should have been clear unless he was was up high or up the drainage a ways. As always, I just want to learn from this. Rest in peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I did have 1000 hours at 21. Family flight school business. My first season flying out of Lake Hood hair on fire I felt like I had 200 hours. We did things in the 70s pretty loose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk