Thread: Best site to sell a plane?

Default Best site to sell a plane?

Any recommendations on the best places to list a plane for sale? I started with Craigslist last spring and no hits. Going to put on AK List next I think. Should I go the route of listing in one of the big magazines or is that worth it? Any recommendations on a place to stick up flyers? Only plane I have owned and I picked it up from a family friend years ago. Never gone through the true process of listing and showing plane. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bjb View Post
    Any recommendations on the best places to list a plane for sale? I started with Craigslist last spring and no hits. Going to put on AK List next I think. Should I go the route of listing in one of the big magazines or is that worth it? Any recommendations on a place to stick up flyers? Only plane I have owned and I picked it up from a family friend years ago. Never gone through the true process of listing and showing plane. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Alaska List would be a good choice. Tell your mechanic and friends and offer a bird dog fee. Quite often word of mouth is the best option.

Alaska right now may not be the best place to sell a plane. The oil patch has funded a lot of the planes sold in Alaska. With oil field employment on the decrease there are more sellers and less buyers. I suppect it will only get worse.

That said, I prefer Alaskas list over craigslist. You might stand a better chance on Trade a Plane or Barnstormers if you are willing to get it to the lower 48.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Also depends on the type of aircraft. Is it a time builder? Bush Plane? Heavy Hauler etc. That can determine where you would advertise it.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Also depends on the type of aircraft. Is it a time builder? Bush Plane? Heavy Hauler etc. That can determine where you would advertise it.
    if it is a Supercub, advertise on Supercub.org...

plenty of buyers in the market however a/c and price need to correlate. what are you selling? good luck

alaskas list, craigslist, tradeaplane, barnstormers, backcountry pilot forum and supercub.org

Alaska's list is a good place, as is Barnstormers and trade a plane. There used to be another Alaska based aircraft sales site... Just can't remember which or what....

I need to sell my C-172N seaplane and get a larger plane, so I have been cruising the web sites as well.
    I sold myPA-11-90 in 4 hours on Supercub.org. The C-150-150hp before that took a couple weeks and I had to fly it down south for the new owner. The PA-12 before that was sold in a couple weeks from the bulletin board at Merrill Field.

If it is interesting I can list it on my facebook business page. I get all sorts of views on that...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Barnstormers gets results. Advertising is reasonable and It puts the plane in front of a broad market rather than limit it to the state. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't underestimate the bulletin board at Merrill. Granted, Los Anchorage is probably loosing more than it's proportional share of buyers due to the oil patch slump, but it's still a big and active part of the a/c market.
    Back in AK

It's a C-182E so may not be of interest to as many folks up here as a cub would be.

Great plane! Been in the family for 13 years I think. Owned by a good family friend years prior to that. Brought it up from California in 2011 and got all the winter goods installed so I could play year round. Really hate to admit to myself that I am not going to fly for a while but family has to come first now. Second kiddo is here and things are even busier so no time to fly!

Thanks for all the tips! I am motivated to sell it before winter.

There is nothing at all wrong with a C-182 with larger tires and a HD nose fork.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Alaska Airmen's has a classified section.