Thread: My First airboat

Default My First airboat

I just bought my first airboat, it's a 14' with a lycoming 540. I live outside of Fairbanks and really need to practice before I head out on a hunt. Any suggestions on a good place to learn? I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated, but eager to learn. Any advice on anything airboat newbie related would be great too! Thanks.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I would also like to have the engine looked over, just like a tune up. Where would you recommend? Thanks!
    Bob

Hi there don't know much about aircraft motors, But if you want to talk about how to run them give me a call 322-3291

Highly recommended to go see Skip.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I'll be out running my boat in the flats 14-18 Aug. Your welcome to tag along and I'll show you what I know.

I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I'll be up on the slope. Where are the flats? Good place to learn?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherBob View Post
    I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I'll be up on the slope. Where are the flats? Good place to learn?
    I don't have an airboat, but I have ridden on a few. I once went on a trip with a guy and unknown to me before we left, he only had 50 hours of experience with said boat. I found this out when we headed up the Sag, here on the Slope. I had to teach him how to read the water for an airboat, and I think we doubled his river time on that one trip. The Sag can be a great reiver to learn on if the water conditions are right. Most nasty "hull inspectors", i.e. rocks 1/2" below the water surface, are pretty easy to avoid.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    I'll be out running my boat in the flats 14-18 Aug. Your welcome to tag along and I'll show you what I know.
    Where would one launch to head into the flats?
    Bob

The flats are the Tanana flats, South side of the Tanana. you launch from the Chena pump campground. It's a good place to learn, it's high grass and swamps. It really depends if your boat will go over dry ground or not, it can be tricky getting in there. I'm off the slope 10-24 Aug, shoot me a text Larry 888-3955.

I'll reply to my own thread for any future airboat first timers. I put over 80 miles on it in my first time out while hunting. Here's what I learned so far...

Don't go all in, get on step and go just fast enough to stay on step. You want to have some throttle left in case something comes up like a sharp corner or boulder. If you get in almost any situation that's not where or what you wanted to be at the throttle is the answer! Throttle out! Don't slow down too fast! Your wake will come over the back of the boat. Avoid going across the current when possible, go up or down stream! I took on water going cross current. Sometimes on tight corners you need to turn then hit the throttle while straightening the steering to push the boat forward and avoid sliding into a rock or dirt bank, be careful not to be overweight and try to distribute evenly on both sides without interfering with the steering. Dress warm, at 40* and fog I froze my hands and face until I stopped and got the right equipment on. I'm sure I have a lot more to learn, but that's my advice from a first timer that just got back from a 9 day hunt.

we did good, we got 5 caribou. A good start for winter with a family of 7. My son got his first bull caribou!
    Bob

All spot on advice.
    Congrats on your bou. Let's see some pics.

Southern airboat has a rather lengthy thread regarding air boating do's and dont's, check it out.

Next you'll want an airboat with a hi-cab, heat, reclining bucket seats, and it just keeping better! Lol!!
    Bk

Bob

Thanks BKMAIL, that was a good read!
    Bob

Pics aren't showing up.
    Get the Tapatalk app, makes it so easy to load pics even I can do it.
    Bk

OK, when I click on each one I get a pic, sweet!
    Ivishak it looks like.