Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

Default Just curious

Just wondering how many forum members remember how wonderful july's on the kenai used to be before the chaotic dipnet fisheries we're started. Those were the good old days and boy do I miss them..

Yes sir. Or going out and catching kings before work every morning only to release them. 50-70 pound fish every morning. The silvers.... And actually enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Just wondering how many forum members remember how wonderful july's on the kenai used to be before the chaotic dipnet fisheries we're started. Those were the good old days and boy do I miss them..
    Boy, Howdy!!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Yeah, I remember the chaotic sport fishery on the Russian and Kenai. You can have the Kenai, and I'll continue to only go there to dip net. I hope everyone and their brother continues to fish there (sport, personal use, whatever) so they don't ruin & overrun other areas. Kenai is a lost cause, I just hope the diesease doesn't spread. lol.

For me it's all about attitude. No matter who you are, THESE are someone's "good old days". It's like that in every generation, I suppose. I have some great memories of fishing the Russian during the 1980s and 1990s. I didn't fish the main Kenai River much for kings, but I did have a few memorable trips below Soldotna. My wife caught her biggest king there, a 54-pounder that she's never let me forget.

More recently I've really enjoyed dipneting in the lower river, and I have some great memories of that, including this year.

If a person can't learn to embrace change, I think they're going to be pretty miserable over the years. Change is both unstoppable and constant. Live in the moment; it's all any of us have.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

For me the biggest change is just the number of people participating. 20+ years ago you could still find your own spot on public land, but today there always seems to be someone on the other side of the tree. What is strange is that the numbers of license sold does not support the increased pressure. It is apparently just a case of concentrating the users into a smaller and smaller area. Used to fish Bings...then it became crowded. Used to fish Willow....then the crowds came and the fish are gone. Used to be you would see 5-10 tents on the north beach during dipnet season, and even on the weekends you could have 20-30 feet of bank to yourself, now there is a tent city and fishing is like hot bunking, you step out and two step in.

Everything changes, but as Mike mentioned, today is someone's good old days, and watching my 8yo pulling a net, whacking fish or even catching one with his bare hands....well someday I'll look back and realize that it was still great even in 2017.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Constant change is here to stay

An estimated 160-180 thousand sport fishers participate in the various upper cook inlet salmon fisheries. Hard to totally escape that kind of crowd.

Part of my kid's childhood memories are bonking, gutting and icing salmon from the Kenai. In 20 years it went from sharing the beach with your fellow Alaskans to what it is now. Yup, I miss what for us were the good old days.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I remember picking which hole of reds on the Russian to fish cause none of them had people flogging the water. Boating double digit numbers of kings on the Kenai. No stop lights in soldotna.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I remember tent camping in the not yet officially opened Russian River Campground, getting up at 0400 and walking down the steep bank to the Russian, following it down to the Kenai....and not seeing more than twenty people!

I remember seeing one black bear on the Russian river as a kid. We fished it a lot and saw almost no bears over a couple decades. Now I see bears almost every time Iím there.
    Master guide 212

Default Support economic growth too?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
    An estimated 160-180 thousand sport fishers participate in the various upper cook inlet salmon fisheries. Hard to totally escape that kind of crowd.
    I wonder if the cheerleaders for more development and economic growth ever look beyond the potential paycheck. Open ANWR? New road to the Western Mining District? Pebble Mine? Yippee...more jobs....and the people to fill them. More people competing for your moose, caribou, fish, & shrimp. Enjoy it now because it ain't going to be around much longer.

Kind of interesting how the population in AK is actually in decline.
    http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Ala...468708953.html
    And if those developments do not come along we will all be paying an income tax not long after they take our entire PFD.
    I've only been here 20 years so my good old days only go back that far.
    But it did seem much better when there were not quite so many dipnetters and tourists around and we had a king fishery that was not in such bad shape.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmiganted View Post
    I remember tent camping in the not yet officially opened Russian River Campground, getting up at 0400 and walking down the steep bank to the Russian, following it down to the Kenai....and not seeing more than twenty people!
    I remember coming here 14 years ago after living in other areas of Alaska for my life that you could not drive to Sand Point, Kodiak, Galena, Dillingham and could not understand back 14 years, why everyone thought the fishing and hunting around here on the Kenai Peninsula was so good it frightened me. I find myself traveling to other states and Canada pretty regular to get better opportunities and escape people especially for fishing. Now on the Kenai Peninsula there is just more people on the river especially in areas the river below centennial park and the upper River from Russian landing sportsmans to jims landing the area below Skilak Lake is also getting overrun in the fall. There is also a lot more houses and buildings around everywhere all around here. It is just what the human race does to places they can reach just fills up so you start feeling some sort of ecological devastation as it gets more crowded. What's now is the normal for people still going and when it gets bad for them their will be a new normal nothing can stop it there is no end to it unless someone limits the number of people on Rivers each day.

Went to the bank in Soldotna today after work, and when leaving I pulled up behind an old Jeep Cherokee that had a bumper sticker on it that just said...."Dipnetters suck". Although I'm not here to bad mouth dipnetters as I can see why they do it, but I do have to say, I thought it was pretty darn funny!

I guess the main reason I don't do it is not the dipnetting as a whole.....I just never have liked crowds. I remember fishing down at the Kasilof when it almost required a 4 wheel drive to get down to it there at Crooked creek. Pretty much used to only be a handful of the locals down there at that time. I haven't fished that hole in I don't know how many years now. Like I said.....just don't like dealing with crowds. For the last 20 years or so I said I had no reason to take my boat out on the Kenai to deal with that rat race. But with all the bank closures, they've got everybody and their mother bunched up to only a few public places. Finally figured I needed to get out there in a boat again. So I did last summer. It's a whole lot worse than I remember it....unfortunately.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Itís a zoo on the lower river in a boat dipnetting. Surprised it hasnít gone to a lottery for drawing a permit to dip.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Went to the bank in Soldotna today after work, and when leaving I pulled up behind an old Jeep Cherokee that had a bumper sticker on it that just said...."Dipnetters suck". Although I'm not here to bad mouth dipnetters as I can see why they do it, but I do have to say, I thought it was pretty darn funny!

I guess the main reason I don't do it is not the dipnetting as a whole.....I just never have liked crowds. I remember fishing down at the Kasilof when it almost required a 4 wheel drive to get down to it there at Crooked creek. Pretty much used to only be a handful of the locals down there at that time. I haven't fished that hole in I don't know how many years now. Like I said.....just don't like dealing with crowds. For the last 20 years or so I said I had no reason to take my boat out on the Kenai to deal with that rat race. But with all the bank closures, they've got everybody and their mother bunched up to only a few public places. Finally figured I needed to get out there in a boat again. So I did last summer. It's a whole lot worse than I remember it....unfortunately.
    I remember fishing Crooked Creek in those days. Fair hooking and releasing 20-30 Kings before work. It's ruined now to me. Also picked up this years fishing regulations. Tried to read and understand just the section about the Kenai River. I'm going to need an attorney and a surveyor to help me out. Sadly, next years regs will likely be worse.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I remember fishing Crooked Creek in those days. Fair hooking and releasing 20-30 Kings before work. It's ruined now to me.
    Yeah, living in Kasilof, my son pretty much learned to fish on that river. But after the last few times we walked down to the corner below the fast water to fish, and had to wait for a half hour before we could get in to fish, I said....that's it, I'm done. I can't remember how many years ago that was now. Ain't been back since....

How people actually enjoy standing shoulder to shoulder to fish, is beyond me....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Who remembers how peaceful it was before "they" built a trail from Valdez to Buffalo Junction? And then a road from Anchorage to Glennallen. And from Outside through Canada to Buffalo Junction. And then on to Ladd Field and Fairbanks. And then "they" built a highway direct from LosAnchorage to Fairbanks. And then from Fairbanks to Prudhoe. And then from Livengood to Tanana. And then from the haul road to Ambler. And then...

"They" suck!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast