Thread: Bad zipper

Default Bad zipper

I recently had a zipper failure on an AIRE jaguarundi, which is a 16 foot cataraft. About 6 feet of the zipper failed on the first day of a 5 day trip. I was not able to move the zipper much at all. We held the boat together with tape and straps and added some straps and a tarp on the inside to protect the bladder.

Anyone else had trouble with a zipper? Could you get it repaired or did you have to replace it?

Appreciate hearing about other experiences. I can get a new zipper at AIRE for about $250, but the shipping is going to be a lot.

Is it over 10 years old? AIRE has a very good warranty for the first decade.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Alaska Tent and Tarp or any place that makes canvas tops for boats would be my attempts.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If the boat is out of warranty, you might ask AIRE to ship the new zipper and have it sewn in by an upholstery shop. Make sure they're using the same thread AIRE uses and you should be fine.

If it's covered under warranty, the zipper should be free. They might even cover local installation costs. Shipping the tube to them is costly.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mine also failed on my Jag a couple years ago. I took it to AK Raft and Kayak and they fixed it for free under warranty and I didn't buy it from them--it was a Craigslist deal. Had it back in less than a week too. Good Guys!!

Glacier silt from the rivers really gums up the zippers. I keep a small stiff bristle brush and a travel bottle of Pert shampoo in my dry box. Prior to unzipping for any reason...I'd recommend spending a few minutes working the entire zipper over with soap,water and brush to clean and lubricate it.