Thread: More Seward diving

Default More Seward diving

Seward diving last week. 2 dives max depth 83'
    Anyone else diving?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Man, that is cool Tony. Loving the fish pic.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Man, that is cool Tony. Loving the fish pic.
    Bk
    The coolest part of diving out there is seeing what it actually looks like compared to the depth finder

I've been wanting to get back into diving, but I got spoiled having been certified in Hawaii.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've been wanting to get back into diving, but I got spoiled having been certified in Hawaii.
    That's where I got certified at too. It's a lot more gear intensive and more expensive up here but completely different world from the tropical waters. A good drysuit makes it rather enjoyable.
    Get back into it, it's really cool to see what's actually under the boat sometimes.

I dove in in the whittier harbor last week to put fresh zincs on our boat. I had most of a tank left when I finished with the zincs so I went to the bottom to check it out and you would not believe the stuff that is down there. I saw at least three hand carts, about 20 broken buoys, road cones, air horns, a wine glass, and about 5 or 6 shrimp pots that were so old they were not salvageable.

Next year Im going to try to get into it more. I was just using an 8 mil wet suit and I was plenty warm.

Quote Originally Posted by akfunhog View Post
    I dove in in the whittier harbor last week to put fresh zincs on our boat. I had most of a tank left when I finished with the zincs so I went to the bottom to check it out and you would not believe the stuff that is down there. I saw at least three hand carts, about 20 broken buoys, road cones, air horns, a wine glass, and about 5 or 6 shrimp pots that were so old they were not salvageable.

Next year Im going to try to get into it more. I was just using an 8 mil wet suit and I was plenty warm.
    If you can get out by the fish plant across the bay there is some massive piles of junk. Also if you can dive along a sheet wall or piling that's usually where the greatest congregation of plants/marine life. If you go dive on those piling at the mooring dolphins from that chip plant (or whatever it is) there's some anenomies about a foot in diameter and 4' tall! Their pretty cool. If you dive in Whittier go out by the old railroad dock, it's about 150' to a little plateau but you would be amazed by the junk! If you want to know other cool places just ask. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    If you can get out by the fish plant across the bay there is some massive piles of junk. Also if you can dive along a sheet wall or piling that's usually where the greatest congregation of plants/marine life. If you go dive on those piling at the mooring dolphins from that chip plant (or whatever it is) there's some anenomies about a foot in diameter and 4' tall! Their pretty cool. If you dive in Whittier go out by the old railroad dock, it's about 150' to a little plateau but you would be amazed by the junk! If you want to know other cool places just ask. Good luck!
    You do much diving out of Seward or Homer? Took the boat down a few times to Seward this summer and dove a few places in the narrows. Some nice stuff to see there. Also dove off the SeaLife center once. It was OK but not much to see there. Haven't dove Homer at all yet but would like to hit the kelp beds around Yukon Island. Only trip I've done to Whittier you could bearly see your gages. I'll probably do Whittier again soon now that the water is clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    You do much diving out of Seward or Homer? Took the boat down a few times to Seward this summer and dove a few places in the narrows. Some nice stuff to see there. Also dove off the SeaLife center once. It was OK but not much to see there. Haven't dove Homer at all yet but would like to hit the kelp beds around Yukon Island. Only trip I've done to Whittier you could bearly see your gages. I'll probably do Whittier again soon now that the water is clearer.

Yea I've spent lots of time in both places. The kinda bad news is for the best visibility anywhere your best bet is jan-march. In Valdez the summer water is almost no viz, but winter water is crazy good. If your setup right water temp shouldn't be an issue. Its the wet standing around that will get ya!
    I've not ever seen kelp beds where your talking.
    I always found that really rocky/steep cliffs provides more interesting scenery. And anywhere where the current rips provides good fish/plant life, but the current ripping is usually a problem.
    Getting out into prince William vs Seward is always better scenery. There are some places where masdive boulders created cool swiss cheese caves. (Watch out for monsters! Lol) Homer is not great, admittedly my nose was usually buried in a job tbough.

This is the kinda diving I did for many years.. 17389110_1366995380027207_8625627838168295315_o.jpg
    That was in the cook inlet on a pipeline job.