Thread: New lift for Grumman sport boat

Default New lift for Grumman sport boat

Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Looks good, with the motor on the lift where is the cavitation plate plate ride in reference to the bottom of the boat , the way if is set up you will have water boil up over the transom at full power I think SID

design looks familiar; yours, or an old lift? it is common for people to affix a "rag" of some kind (tafetta, etc) to the transom and the lift to prevent water from washing into the boat when the motor is raised. you may or may not need one on a sport boat. on a grumman 19' with a 15 horse you could sink one in minutes, or less. use grommets and snaps that pivot so you can unsnap the rag from the lift when you take the lift off. ak tent probably still has them, or wherever. good luck using the boat. j

This is a new lift. Basically a copy of your design with a few modifications. I'm not doing the welding. A friend is doing it. Apparently now he wants to scoot it all back so that the motor will gang about 3 inches off the stern. I'll try it tomorrow I hope. We will see. I'll give a report.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

i've only set the new "transom" right over the old one, so i have no advice on moving the motor aft. what is the reasoning? did it not run properly? btw: i'd push those hairpin clips all the way in (into the loop) instead of the first bump. i had one wiggle out and the pivot bar wondered out of the angle iron and dropped a tad. at WOT, that could prove interesting. i also set the angle clips on top of the gunnel, as you did, for easy removal of the lift, but it introduces this potential problem.
    Last edited by jklingel; 07-22-2017 at 10:21. Reason: forgot something

if you put a 2x4 on top of transom let it hang over about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, put 3 or 4, 1/4 inch bolts in it so it would not split with the force of the weight of the motor on it, an then bolt the 2x4 layed down on top of transom, seal it with sealing compound, let the lift plate ride on it , if motor hit's the wood grove the 2x4 so motor will miss it , this should put the CAV. plate even with the bottom of the boat, the over hang will stop a lot of water from coming into the boat , PS I had to remove the hardware that caused the motor to stay up when you hit a log or rock, just what I did to run the rivers with as little problems as possible ... SID take the old wooden board off the back the transom an plug the holes with sealing compound [ RTV ]

good, sid. plywood will split a whole lot less. j

don't know it the plywood would take the beating over time, the 2X4 lasted many years [25 + ]

Finally got a chance to try it out. Works great. No water over the transom. I think the wider transom has more flotation and keeps that from happening.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

glad it is working out. now find some fish. j

right on glad to here it. I learn some thing new every day,,, SID

yah, sid, i learn something new every day, too, but it is usually the thing i learned yesterday and forgot..... cheers. j

Took a trip on the Tanana. Worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

good looking 17 FT YES ? SID

It's a 15 foot sport boat
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Sorry the back end did not look wide enough for a sport canoe, I had lots of experience with the 19 FT but very limited on the 17 FT an none on the sport ........SID

This was a trial run for a moose hunting trip in September. I was pleased with the sport boat and the lift worked perfectly. But I was even more pleased with the kaboat. It ran faster and shallower. I think it will likely pack more of a load too. Used 2 cycle 15 evinrudes on both.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com