Thread: Lost another Shrimp Pot

Default Lost another Shrimp Pot

Second one in a month. The saga continues. So about a month ago I lost one off Pigot point (first time dropping there and last). Waves picked up and dragged until it hung. Was able to break the yoke and get my lead line all back. Was using the wire mesh pots from West Marine.

Decided it was a good oportunity to upgrade to the stackable pots so I sold my remaining four pots and got some nice stackable pots. Rigged them with some extra weight and set sail.

This was my second weekend using them. Was pulling my fourth pot (set all mine individually) in an area that I have been using most the summer. Produces good steady numbers. Got about 50 feet up when we realized it was stuck. Tried jerking on it, tied it off and rocked the boat to try and pop it free. Tied off to the end of the line and started making slow tight circles with the bouy lift on. At one point the bouy poped up like it was giving but then imediatly hung again. All in all we ended up getting about 100 feet of line free. It was obvious that the line was caught and not the pot. After making circles in one directions for awhile to no avail we changed directions.. That produced no results. Decided to try pulling straight up on it again. Nadda. Finally decided to pick a direction and pull and see if it would just pop. Powered into it gently and as soon as we got to the end of the rope stopped the boat dead in its tracks (trying to be careful not to suck the transom down). Changed directions and tried again. Gave it a little more juice and still stopped the boat dead in its tracks, turning the boat to create slack made the boat list very badly. Finally decided it was to risky to do that anymore and pulled up as much line as we could and cut it. Supprisingly enough we ended up getting less mine up this time than we had on the previous attempt.

Bummer deal. Lost a brand new pot, 600' of lead line, clips, bait jar, sigh! Salvaged about 50 foot of lead line I will use to replace the cheap yokes on the other pots.

So here is the delima I have. I like this spot. Its been producing good. Haven't had any problems up until now. Think the problem may have come from the way I ran when I dropped the pot. It was tight in there so I had to turn the boat in a 3/4 circle as we were letting line out. I can't imagine this would have created a problem since I was in 460 - 480 feet of water with 600' of line but thought maybe the line went down in a circular way and when the current tightened the line from the bouy it senched around a rock. Either way all I can do it guess what happened and in the end decide if it is worth dropping there in the future knowing there is 550' of leadline laying on the bottom to get tandled up in.

Whatever it was it was stuck good to stop a boat dead in its tracks.

Sigh...........
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Smile No Lead Line !!!

Try using 5/16th floating line, first pot out on a end loop next pot 50' or to your liking for space on a brake away loop with snap and so on, if your in a tight area use two buoys one on each end of ground line if one end hangs up try the other end. Yes you end up with more ground line but 1200' @ $68.00 or pot and gear @ $80.00. Lead line lays in the cracks and rocks, floating line will float off the bottom.

Default Bujmmer man

When I drop pots i sit dead in water and feed the line over by hand. No problems in 4 summers. I don't see the need to run the line out. I just drift with the wind and tide. Where did you buy the new pots from? Are they the mesh type with a stainless frame? Do you add weights to your line above the pots? Whatever you do don't buy the floating line. I have pulled my pots and had some other morrons pots come up with mine. Both time they where floating line and junk bouys. Stick with what you have.

I have a mix of lines on my pots. Some leaded and some floating poly. The leaded gets hung up much more. I am going to use a floating "leader" line then run leaded to the surface after that.

A couple of my pots have poly from pot to buoy. I just put a few links of chain on the line to sink it keep it out of the prop zone.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    When I drop pots i sit dead in water and feed the line over by hand. No problems in 4 summers. I don't see the need to run the line out. I just drift with the wind and tide. Where did you buy the new pots from? Are they the mesh type with a stainless frame? Do you add weights to your line above the pots? Whatever you do don't buy the floating line. I have pulled my pots and had some other morrons pots come up with mine. Both time they where floating line and junk bouys. Stick with what you have.
    I bought the ones from Mining and Diving. Like them allot. I took two 22" pieces of rebar (about 4 1/2 pounds) , bent them to the contour of the pot, and put them on the inside of the net around the outside of the bottom ring. Worked out real good. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pic. Stack up real nice and save allot of space. They need better yokes though. I already had one of the yokes come loose from the way they splice that materal. Going to put lead line yokes on so they are tougher and splices will hold better.

I hear you on catching the floating line. I think there are pros and cons with each. I guess about the best might be to put 200 feet of floating line spliced into 400 feet of lead. Then it will sink but since I drop over 400 feet it wouldn't lay on the bottom.

I have a friend that always used lead line and in 6+ years only got it hung up once and was able to get it free pretty easy. This is the first time I got the line caught.

One thing I was glad to see. I had to splice the lead line that I lost becuase the dogs chewed through it. The splice never broke through all that pulling. Good to know.

Derrick
    Last edited by DMan; 07-15-2007 at 23:41. Reason: detail

Default Sounds Like You May Have Hung Up on Coral

You are in the right depth for getting wound around red tree coral. Shrimp and red tree go together in the places I've fished - it provides a lot of habitat, cover, and is a food source. If there IS coral in the area it could have quite a collection of lost gear on it - which just adds to the junk that you can get tangled-up with at this spot. (Picture a hillside covered with old, gnarly hemlock snags.) IMHO I'd be doing some prospecting for a different site and forget about those GPS numbers unless you feel inclined to add to your gear loss. Good luck.

I wonder if you have enough line out. I use 900 feet for 600-650 feet where I shrimp...I wonder if you might not have enough line to where it can absorb the wind a current..
    I forgot the equation I got from here to tell me how much line to use...

I have lost two pots last year...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Me too

I lost one too. From a 5 pot string, first pot in the line. No coral around, no pulling, no drifting, no resistance. I attached it the same way that I have been for five years now.

Someone probably wanted some shrimp and pulled up the first pot and ran. Not wanting to pull five and 700' of line.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default D-Man

I have the same pots. Mine came with out bridles. Didn't notice it until I got out there. Luckily I has some extry nylon on the boat. My boat builder uses leaded line. He recently had all his pots stolen. They were big, rebar frame with nylon webbing and the inlet holes were on top, he used to catch a lot of shrimp with those a couple years ago. But to keep the line from pilling up on top of pot and block the only inlet hole. He would attach a little corkie bouy a few up from the bridle. Maybe you could the same just about 100-200' up or less. Maybe only 50' past the last pot. That possibly might do the same at having some poly down there. That way no splices, plus I think poly is weaker. As for weights in my pots. I put a 5#er in the center on my first pot down. Then second pot 3-1#ers around the edges and the lost pot nothing. Then with the set of two I just use one 5#er. Does good never drift and usually no problems. Once this year two pots were tangled. Not bad just like looped over the other one. Plus that way it is not too heavy for the puller. But if you continue to drop singley you should be fine. Do you get a rust ring in your boat where the pots sit? Thinking I could something similar but with stainless or something. My pots allways go in the water in the same order. How many shrimp did you catch?

It was a pretty calm day and I suppose at slack tide maybe it was calm enough that there wasn't enough tension on the line from the bouy drifting and caused the line to lay slack on the bottom and then just got caught up in the rocks and coral. The pot wasn't stuck as I was putting enough force into it to break those cheap bridles. Guess it is all part of shrimping!

akrstabout, I don't get rust rings becuase I flip pot 1 upsidedown where I want them to sit and then put the rope in it, then pot two stacks upsidedown in that pot with the ring able to sllide down around the first line and then I put the second line in, and so on. Works really well and the stack is only about 6 inches higher in the end and you have a place to store all the ropes.

The four pots I did pull had about 160. 200 last weekend.

Sigh....

I have been told that if you use floating line, put a halibut weight on it between the last pot and buoy. This way you don't run the risk of someone catching it with their prop. Just a thought.

Bummer about your pots Dman, but then again fishing is fishing.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've been afraid to use all lead for fear of just the situation you had. Our lines are 400' of poly (floating) spliced to 200' of lead line for a total of 600'. The poly end goes on the pots and the lead end attaches to the bouy. With this setup, all the line is off the bottom (to avoid snags) and below the surface (to avoid props).

We set our pots crab boat style - on the run. We usually drop three lines; 2 pots, 2 pots, and 1 pot. Get everything baited and rigged and I yell "throw!" out the back door as we approach the spot I want the pots to go. We can get 1,800 feet of line out in short order. Now, pulling them back in...

Default stuck pots

I had an old timer tell me that if his pots became stuck he would leave them another tide come back and the would always come up. He said he has never lost a pot.