Second one in a month. The saga continues. So about a month ago I lost one off Pigot point (first time dropping there and last). Waves picked up and dragged until it hung. Was able to break the yoke and get my lead line all back. Was using the wire mesh pots from West Marine.
Decided it was a good oportunity to upgrade to the stackable pots so I sold my remaining four pots and got some nice stackable pots. Rigged them with some extra weight and set sail.
This was my second weekend using them. Was pulling my fourth pot (set all mine individually) in an area that I have been using most the summer. Produces good steady numbers. Got about 50 feet up when we realized it was stuck. Tried jerking on it, tied it off and rocked the boat to try and pop it free. Tied off to the end of the line and started making slow tight circles with the bouy lift on. At one point the bouy poped up like it was giving but then imediatly hung again. All in all we ended up getting about 100 feet of line free. It was obvious that the line was caught and not the pot. After making circles in one directions for awhile to no avail we changed directions.. That produced no results. Decided to try pulling straight up on it again. Nadda. Finally decided to pick a direction and pull and see if it would just pop. Powered into it gently and as soon as we got to the end of the rope stopped the boat dead in its tracks (trying to be careful not to suck the transom down). Changed directions and tried again. Gave it a little more juice and still stopped the boat dead in its tracks, turning the boat to create slack made the boat list very badly. Finally decided it was to risky to do that anymore and pulled up as much line as we could and cut it. Supprisingly enough we ended up getting less mine up this time than we had on the previous attempt.
Bummer deal. Lost a brand new pot, 600' of lead line, clips, bait jar, sigh! Salvaged about 50 foot of lead line I will use to replace the cheap yokes on the other pots.
So here is the delima I have. I like this spot. Its been producing good. Haven't had any problems up until now. Think the problem may have come from the way I ran when I dropped the pot. It was tight in there so I had to turn the boat in a 3/4 circle as we were letting line out. I can't imagine this would have created a problem since I was in 460 - 480 feet of water with 600' of line but thought maybe the line went down in a circular way and when the current tightened the line from the bouy it senched around a rock. Either way all I can do it guess what happened and in the end decide if it is worth dropping there in the future knowing there is 550' of leadline laying on the bottom to get tandled up in.
Whatever it was it was stuck good to stop a boat dead in its tracks.