Thread: What's Your Favorite Truck Topper/Shell?

Default What's Your Favorite Truck Topper/Shell?

I'm looking to put a topper/camper shell on my Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I would like to keep water and dust off my gear, and would like to sleep in the bed too.

Been looking at A.R.E. and Leer brands . Anybody have a favorite shell you can recommend? What are some features I should be looking for?

Leer and A.R.E. are two of the better shells available. Get the liner installed to prevent condensation from forming inside the shell when you sleep in the back. If your truck has a sliding rear window then get one in the shell you buy. I like the single handle on the all glass rear door that has a cable to unlatch the connections (locks) on each side. The lower cost shells have a full metal frame with handles on each side that twist to lock each side. When your truck is not parked perfectly level one side will be jammed and difficult to open. If you plan to sleep in the bed consider a carpet kit to make your bed much more comfortable. You may also want to consider a topper that is more than cab high to give yourself more room to sit up and move around. I recommend getting a Yakima/thule rack with 66" bars installed if you ever plan to haul dip nets, canoes, lumber ...etc

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    Leer and A.R.E. are two of the better shells available. Get the liner installed to prevent condensation from forming inside the shell when you sleep in the back. If your truck has a sliding rear window then get one in the shell you buy. I like the single handle on the all glass rear door that has a cable to unlatch the connections (locks) on each side. The lower cost shells have a full metal frame with handles on each side that twist to lock each side. When your truck is not parked perfectly level one side will be jammed and difficult to open. If you plan to sleep in the bed consider a carpet kit to make your bed much more comfortable. You may also want to consider a topper that is more than cab high to give yourself more room to sit up and move around. I recommend getting a Yakima/thule rack with 66" bars installed if you ever plan to haul dip nets, canoes, lumber ...etc
    All good advice here. I hadn't thought about condensation issues. Definitely will look for a liner for the shell.

Window screens too, if you are going to sleep in the back. I have no windows and the condensation is terrible unless I crack the flip window....which lets bugs in. In buggy country I think my topper with bodies inside acts like one of those propane mosquito magnets. I have rigged up 'row cover' fabric to mitigate but its a pain. Side sliders with screens would be nice. That's my experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Window screens too, if you are going to sleep in the back. I have no windows and the condensation is terrible unless I crack the flip window....which lets bugs in. In buggy country I think my topper with bodies inside acts like one of those propane mosquito magnets. I have rigged up 'row cover' fabric to mitigate but its a pain. Side sliders with screens would be nice. That's my experience anyway.
    I'm beginning to think a topper with side vent windows is a must have. And of course, screens to keep the skeeters outside, and not inside. Thanks.

Check out cache camper in the valley. Larry and his crew can build anything.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    I like the single handle on the all glass rear door that has a cable to unlatch the connections (locks) on each side.
    I've got this set up on my current Leer. They're fine in summer, but I've had serious issues with them freezing up in winter due to moisture. The button pushes fine and cables retract , but the inertia latches remain frozen in the latched position. An when you're locked out under these conditions, you're locked out. I'd never own the same arrangement again.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Check out cache camper in the valley. Larry and his crew can build anything.
    Bk
    What he said ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg_Stomper View Post
    What he said ^^^
    A interior LED light wired to operate with the ignition key off and a third brake light are nice.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far...

I'm not in a hurry, so I am still looking for feedback from others on the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of buying a truck canopy.

Specifically, brands to look at or avoid. Features that are must haves for Alaska or a waste of money. Things you might do differently today if in the market for a topper.