Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for lighting??

Question What do you do for lighting??

I thought that it might be a good idea to see what people are using for lighting purposes in the field. If you are on a 10 day hunt what do you take? Flashlight, head lamp, tent light, is it waterproof, what works and what has failed? Make and model etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I thought that it might be a good idea to see what people are using for lighting purposes in the field. If you are on a 10 day hunt what do you take? Flashlight, head lamp, tent light, is it waterproof, what works and what has failed? Make and model etc.
    I guess all depends on one's mode of transportation to the hunting grounds. For example, my hunting partners and I get there on ATV's after parking the trucks near the road. We also tow meat trailers loaded with hunting and camping gear, and sometimes it takes two trips from the trucks to the campsite to get all the gear in.

I primarily use a propane lantern to illuminate the campsite (2-mantle), and a very small propane lantern inside my tent. This 1-mantle lantern (in the tent) puts out enough light comparable to an 80-watt light bulb, which is plenty for my 8' x10' wall tent. In the past we used three to four propane lanterns to skin and quarter moose in the middle of the night, but now we use my Honda 200-watt generator with two floodlights that are connected to extension cords. I just turn the "Economy" switch on, and the generator can run overnight on about 1/2 tank of fuel.

We also have headlamps in case we need them, but seldom use them. I used to bring all sorts of flashlights with me, but now I carry a 5-LED (white light) Inova flashlight in my pocket, a Peltz LED headlamp in the pack on my ATV, as well as another LED flashlight made by Inova. These flashlights cost under $40.00 each, are water proof to several meters, and put out a beam like a spotlight in the dark. The 123 batteries are expensive, but last quite a long time.

Default I agree

All depends on how you are getting in to where you are going. If you are on a sheep hunt, and carrying everything on your back, then one headlamp should be the max of your 'lighting'. I have been on numerous 10 day 'expedition' trips; however, they have either been 'fly-in' trips, or out of a sea kayak, or a 4 wheeler. The fly in trips and paddling trips teach one to think about weight -v- need. I have quartered out a moose with just a headlamp before....little 4 led version.
    All that just to say that what you take is wholly dependent upon what your mode of transport will be.

One good bright headlamp that can throw a good beam or adjust to flood. An extra bulb and xtra batteries. I have hiked back to sheep camp in the dark and also done moose at night. The next one I get will probably have a couple leds for using in the tent and also uses less battery. But, I will never have one without a good spotlight.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Wink

I backpack so it"s one Black Diamond micro light led headlamp,with two LED"s, one extra silver oxside battery. Also one photon micro light, on a neclkace, i"ve had lamps/ lights go out when I have had no spare, and was stuck on the ledges in the mountains in the dark forced to repair my light in the dark. Not much fun there!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

In my misadvenntures I used my cell phone to light up the area around my toes as I crawled off of a mountain in the dark.

My hunting partner, who shall remain nameless since he participates in these forums, had a flashlight in his backpack which he pulled out once we were OFF THE MOUNTAIN and 200 yards from the road!

This experience still gives me nightmares, and were it not for the tight restrictions on certain words, I would share with you some of my personal expressions before, during, and after that escapade.

At Christmas he sent me a headlamp that turns darkness to daylight and in the winter, you can use it to maintain your sun tan. This will remain in the top pocket of my backpack from here on out.

Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp because it uses LED lamps and the batteries fit into the same housing as the lamps. On the high setting I can walk through the woods on a dark night easily. I also carry a small single AA battery LED flashlight that comes with a nylon cord and conveniently rides around my neck. I have one of these on all winter for quick access. I keep it under my shirt so it stays warm and the plastic housing is lightweight and easy on the teeth so I can hold and aim it hands-free. I only carry AA batteries as spares and I've yet to have a single LED lamp burn out.

Question soggymountian

I'm curious as to the make and model that you are refering to?

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    I backpack so it"s one Black Diamond micro light led headlamp,with two LED"s, one extra silver oxside battery.
    I have the same Black Diamond head lamp and this is what I would suggest, too.
    Lurker.

I have a Myo (probably spelling that wrong) Petzl Headlamp, has the LED and the spot lights. When possible I also take my PowerMax Fuel mantel lantern, gives out lots of light for it's size.

You can not always find PowerMax fuel in all places so have a backup plan and call ahead to make sure they have your fuel.

<http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,2070,00.html>

I use a Princeton Tec Apex LED Headlamp. It has 4 regular LEDs and one three watt LED with variable power levels for both. Amazingly bright when you need it. It uses 4 AA batteries that last forever it seems. It's also waterproof.

I also use a Petzl Tikka but it requires AAA batteries.

I'm sold on head lamps for most things. They always shine where I'm looking and I don't have to waste a hand holding them.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I'm curious as to the make and model that you are refering to?
    I have been in Seattle for a bit (dad has his leg amputated) but I'm back now.

The headlamp I was refeering to is a COAST LED LENSER.

whatcha talkin bout willis

Default petzl and surefire

I use a petzl led headlamp and a sure fire handheld flashlight. I have never seen a brighter more compact flashlight than the surefire.

Default headlamps are my choice

I used a petzl for years until I got to rough with it and it broke. I bought a 3-AAA Browning LED and used it for years, but it just was not quite bright enough.
    Next up was a Princeton Tec Quad. Very light, very compact 3-AAA LED system with multiple power settings. Easy to walk in the woods, and a good camp light. I like the button as long as I don't have heavy gloves.
    So, not quite done my next acquisition was a Princeton Tec Yukon HL. It is an 8oz, 3-AA, 3 LED w/a hybrid spotlight. The LED light is good for most things, the spotlight hybrid is much whiter and brighter than standard LED lights. The specs show pretty fair burn time, even on high about 25 hours. That will get me through any long september night.
    I do like the Apex by PTec too. The single button on top of the Yukon helped me make up my mind there. The Apex has the fancy flash mode, the HL does not, but I can't quite figure out why I would want it anyway.
    I always have a penlight with batteries to match the headlamp. I like the HL in part because my GPS and tent LED are both AA powered.
    I also carry a Pulsar or Impulse on my zipper as well as keep one on the key chain in the boat. The last one is red to save my night vision as I constantly get back to camp way after dark.

Default my picks...

I will not be without a good headlight...that's the kind you wear around your head, not on the front of your pickup I began wearing one of these when I was doing electrical work and then started using them in all types of building and now won't go afield without one! I've gotten accustomed to carrying a Surefire as well.

I have three that I use:
    Petzl Tikka Plus - extremely lightweight and effective, but not my favorite mainly due to plastic mechanical parts. The beam can be angled for a high or low vantage point and the plastic will wear out or break.

Another Petzl - Has worked well, but too heavy for backpacking I do. Gets used mainly when doing electrical work now.

Browning Black Ice - This has been my go-to light. A touch heavier than the Tikka Plus, but worth it too me. Has metal mechanical parts. Runs on 3 AAA's. 1-5 LEDS and a strobe as well. Normally don't need it on high power.

Surefire Executive - I consider this my spotlight. Extremely lightweight. Highly effective. Downfall is eats batteries if not used efficiently. Batteries are expensive, but not too bad if you buy in bulk. I doubt I would carry it on a sheephunt, but I have yet to do a hike/backpacking trip without it since I have owned it.

I would like to add to my list a good keychain light.
    Another light that I have seen, but have been unable to locate in stores is on of those lights you stick on the back of your cell phone. They are one LED and throw a beam of light. Extremely lightweight, good in a pinch, don't know it's there.

-Buck

I use lanterns around camp if, as others have said, the transportation options allow.

Now on to those situations when I don't haul lanterns around:
    I think of lights like fire starters and always take more than one and spread them around my gear, because when you need it...you usually really need it. I think some people may be relying on LEDs as an infoulable source of light. I have had a couple LED lights fail due to smoked boards, broken switches, or something wrong with the LED. I simply wont' rely on only one source, even if it is a long lasting LED.

here's what I usually have...

in my pack:
    • LED headlamp using AA lithium batteries (same as others - compatible with GPS, radio, etc) (the apex is awesome it's my next buy!)
    • surefire two cell with extra lamp and batteries
    • CMG infinity (AA lithium also) - as a low light, long life backup if the headlamp fails...don't want to use that surefire for cooking or snooping around the tent too much!
    In a pocket survival kit:
    photon II microlight (I replace the lithium battery every couple of years even with no use, because it's my emergency backup that is always on me in the field - if the pack is lost I still have a small light source)

I usually have another small light thrown in with whatever I happen to be doing - fly fishing vest, snow machine, boat tool box, etc

I always use AA lithiums when out in the field - long shelf life, longer useable life, better cold weather performance, and they weigh much less. Oh and weight is further reduced because your wallet is lighter after you buy a dozen of them!

Son and I both have halogen headlamps we bought at REI but I did forget the brand name. These things really light up the woods and are adjustable from spot to flood.
    I would like to find a LED model that tosses out as much light and is adjustable from spot to flood. Any suggestions?
    Tennessee

Default snowwolfe

check out the Princeton Tec Yukon HL and the Apex. Both are very good lights. Safety supply stores have a good selection. The small guys will let you take the lights into the warehouse, make it dark, and compare the lights properly. I just don't see the point in looking at optics or lighting in a big bright store.
    The hybrid bulbs put out good light and use a lot less battery than your halogen bulbs do. Also, the Yukon HL comes in either a battery pack on the head band or a corded battery pack that hangs on you belt.

Default Petzl and Surefire...

I canoe/camp and fly fish mostly. Been on two trips up in the Noatak Preserve and went to the Goodnews (SW) for 13 day trip in August. I have found the Petzl e-lite to be amazing. Super small and uses a watch battery. It lasted the whole 13 days on one battery. Used it around camp and in the tent. Camp chores and reading type of light. Good for walking around a bit near camp. The tikka as suggested by others would be a better choice as your light, if you were only taking one. I find it best to use a small headlamp for "camp chores", and a big bright light for seeing around what goes bump in the night. I choose a Surefire Guarding M6 for that. 500,000 candlepower/lumen (cant remember how they rated it). Point is, it is like having the sunlight at your finger tips. Blinded a brownie that walked to withing 25 yards of my tent on my recent trip. He took off! For which I was glad. The light was designed for military use. Rock solid construction, and of course waterproof. It is pricey, but worth every dime to me. Whatever you choose, consider using two lights. I dont think any one light would work well on a camping/hunting trip. I like the small l.e.d. head lamps for around camp and a big, bright light to sit beside the S&W model 500 at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast