Thread: What motor for the Hudson Bay?

Default What motor for the Hudson Bay?

Been off the forum for a little while and haven't been following the canoe forum for quit a while. The good Lord has blessed the wife and I. We are finally making the move to Alaska. A few years ago I found a incredible deal on a Kevlar Hudson Bay and bought it in preparation and the hope of making it to Alaska.. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the best motor options but would appreciate it if you guys wouldn't mind hashing it out for me one more time. What make and model do you recommend? If you have been through different ones in the look for the best option please share that. For you guys with the surface drives. Which make and which size? If you can please share the logic of your suggestion, that would help and greatly be appreciated. Is it worth buying now before I leave for next hunting season? Thanks again guys for the help and input.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I'm on my second HB and again have chosen a 20Hp outboard while my neighbor/friend has chosen a Copper Head surface drive. Both work very well for us. He tends to run the local shallow and braided rivers while I frequent the larger lakes and rivers.......Shallow waters vs. deeper waters.

Another friend/neighbor is VERY experienced with running Alaska/Yukon Rivers and he runs a 20hp Honda on a jacklift as well as a 19' Grumman also with jacklift.

I do think the 15HP outboard is very adequate for the HB as we usually run the 20s at a fuel conserving half-throttle to benefit from the efficiency of the canoe. The extra power of the 20 can be helpful when struggling upstream in very fast water.

My previous HB had a 20 Honda that was OK but I wasn't fond of it so this time, I bought a 20 Suzuki and it will hit the water next week in Yukon Territory. The Suzie is the only 20HP with EFI.

When driving to Alaska, be sure to stop here in Delta and show us your Kevlar HB.......I've never seen one......

Good luck on your journey.

I have used the 9.8 tahatsu and the 20 Suzuki on mine. The Suzuki with edits is a great motor on this boat especially when heavily loaded. Since I got the Suzuki the only time I use the tohatsu is on hp restricted waters.

Thanks for the input on the motors. If I can I will see if we can do that or maybe once we get settled in Kenai you can stop by. I have seen and a lot of interest in the surface drives and like the idea but worried about the amount of weight on the rear end. For using the canoe for moose hunting.... which do you think would be better? I guess that I should also ask what would your buddy say?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I've had good luck with the 23 hp mudbuddy.
    I started with the 20 hp honda but could not get into the shallow water much.
    18 hp and 23 hp mudbuddys weight about the same and the HB handles the weight fine.
    Good luck with your motor choice.

I don't have an HB. I have a Grumman Sport Boat and a Kaboat. I've been looking at motors too. I think the 20hp Suzuki looks hard to beat. Unless you are doing a lot of shallow water stuff. Then you might get a surface drive. I wonder if anyone is using the 20hp Suzuki with a jack lift? That might be the ideal.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

i have a 21' HB and use a 15 hp suzie and a 23 hp mudbuddy. i like both. the 15 hp will move you slow enough to back-troll on the kenai, etc, yet move you along pretty fast. i think it will match the 15 honda i had on another HB; 16 mph, if i recall. the mudbuddy will run it at about 16 mph as well, maybe a tad faster. either way, i wish i could get a jet pump of some kind on mine. i tried a 20 or 25 hp jet and it was too slow; something like 11 mph. maybe one could "custom" the butt and allow it to handle a heavier, higher hp jet pump..... a future project....???? doesn't someone on here run a 35 hp on his? i seem to recall ready that. it sounds a bit too dangerous to me; i'd think the bow would be up too much and you'd be going too fast and getting squirelly. of course, i am a bit spooky since i went swimming w/ mine a few years ago in valdez.... those things seem to stick w/ a guy. cheers. john

I just got in from a 500 mile trip down the Teslin/Yukon Rivers to Dawson. Having been delayed, we ran the 20 SuziQ at a modest pace to maintain steerage. I'm guessing but I'd say we ran at 1,000 to 1,200 rpm most of the time and that increased our speed from the 6-7 mph of the river current to 10-11 mph. We did a few miles upstream also. Our total fuel burn was 13 gallons. The 9" pitch prop was too flat for our modest load and the 11" would have been appropriate.

thanks. good to know. john

I have a 20' Nor West and am running the new EFI 25hp Yamaha. I only have about 10 hours on the motor but have been impressed so far. The motor weighs around 126lbs so I can lift it off and on by myself. Pull start is very easy. Quiet and very efficient. The motor is very compact. I use mine on a big river so it works well for me.

I ran a 20 HP Tohatsu on the one I had several years ago.

Now I would buy the 20 HP Suzuki for the weight savings, thinking it would be light enough for a lift. And while on the trailer a light weight out board is great to relieve stress on the transom, on AK roads.

Just be aware there are fewer Suzuki dealers and service on the Kenai Pen. we tried to find a water pump for my buddies 60 HP Suzuki this summer none in stock, if we had a Yamaha we could find them everywhere.

I run this on all my prop motors protects prop and gets on step quick with no loss of speed. Been using them for years when I bought my last one the widow modified one to make it work on my 9.9 HP. Mounts below prop.

https://www.hydro-shield.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I ran a 20 HP Tohatsu on the one I had several years ago.

Now I would buy the 20 HP Suzuki for the weight savings, thinking it would be light enough for a lift. And while on the trailer a light weight out board is great to relieve stress on the transom, on AK roads.

Just be aware there are fewer Suzuki dealers and service on the Kenai Pen. we tried to find a water pump for my buddies 60 HP Suzuki this summer none in stock, if we had a Yamaha we could find them everywhere.

I run this on all my prop motors protects prop and gets on step quick with no loss of speed. Been using them for years when I bought my last one the widow modified one to make it work on my 9.9 HP. Mounts below prop.

https://www.hydro-shield.com/
    How much farther down does that shield stick?

As far as motors, I don't have a canoe anymore (went swimming on the yukon and I prefer the kaboat now for the better stability) but I am seriously considering a new motor for the kaboat. I have been running a 7.5 2 stroke on it, and my fuel consumption is great, but the speeds just ain't what I want. I bought a 2.5 suzuki for a more quiet run, and more fuel efficient run, but have yet to mount it, since I'm concerned about the speed drop off.
    I bought a flat bottom skiff with a 35 hp go-devil, and I'm ruined. I am now looking at getting a surface drive for the kaboat, and I think if I wanted to get back into the canoe market (which I kind of do), I would look into surface drives. I got to keep my weight down around 100 lbs on that transom, and that is my issue.
    I'm also running shallow waters.

Just an FYI. With about 8-900 lbs in my HB and my 23 MudBuddy, I create an 8-10" wake. She pushes some serious water. Coming up the Yukon we got about 4-4.5 mpg, running anywhere from 8-12 mph at near WOT, ie, 2800 rpm. My MB is a bit sick, so I may be able to make improvements on that. Splashing starts about 4' from the bow, and the motor operator gets drowned is there is much head wind to blow the spray on him/her. I'd be interested in comparison specs if anyone has better riding. Thnx. j