Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish Creek

Default Fish Creek Dipnetting Page Complete! Input requested!

Hi folks,

This talk about Fish Creek lit my fire on getting our page on Fish Creek dipnetting done. I'd sure appreciate it if some of you could take a look at it and let me know what you think; good, bad or indifferent!

It could probably use a fish picture or two, and some photos at high tide. I shot the photos when the tide was out... not the best representation. If you've got photos you want to share, let me know! Or just send them to me.

HERE'S THE LINK

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Looks good Mike. The only things I thought of that might need mentioning is that a popular and effective method to fish there is to put in a canoe or boat at the bridge, but it is wise to take out at high tide or else you need to drag your boat upstream. The other thing I thought of is for safety. The bore tides and rapid tide shifts can be very dangerous. I've seen the river come up a few feet in a matter of seconds down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Looks good Mike. The only things I thought of that might need mentioning is that a popular and effective method to fish there is to put in a canoe or boat at the bridge, but it is wise to take out at high tide or else you need to drag your boat upstream. The other thing I thought of is for safety. The bore tides and rapid tide shifts can be very dangerous. I've seen the river come up a few feet in a matter of seconds down there.
    Excellent input! I added this to the page this morning. Do you have any photos taken at high tide that you wouldn't mind me posting on that page?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Excellent input! I added this to the page this morning. Do you have any photos taken at high tide that you wouldn't mind me posting on that page?

-Mike
    Nope. Sorry. I never bring a camera with me down there. Too much mud and blood to be worrying about pictures imo. But I think your pictures were very good.

Default Looks great!

Mike: Very thorough job on Fish Creek fishery info.

One typo:
    -You've got a repeat of same info above first picture.

One other concern: There is only a publically useable trail on north side of creek, up to the 3 very established and posted fences. This "public" trail only goes about half the way to the mouth. Beyond that, the access to the mouth is all on private land and is posted. Once a trespass trail becomes visible on posted land (it only takes a couple people walking through the muck to do that), does not mean it is public access. Common sense, but it remains a recurring problem for local land owners. None of the local land owners are trying to stop people from catching fish and having fun-the land owners have posted their property to prevent the physical land damage associated with the large numbers of dipnetters, associated garbage left behind, lack of restroom facilities, and vandalism.

The statement about use of a canoe or small boat to fish the mouth area is great advice. It is almost always more productive fishing from a boat in the mouth, less muddy, AND, there are no trespass issues!

Thanks for your great job!

PS Attached photo is of a really high tide at mouth....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Have Gun Will Travel View Post
    Mike: Very thorough job on Fish Creek fishery info.

One typo:
    -You've got a repeat of same info above first picture.

One other concern: There is only a publically useable trail on north side of creek, up to the 3 very established and posted fences. This "public" trail only goes about half the way to the mouth. Beyond that, the access to the mouth is all on private land and is posted. Once a trespass trail becomes visible on posted land (it only takes a couple people walking through the muck to do that), does not mean it is public access. Common sense, but it remains a recurring problem for local land owners. None of the local land owners are trying to stop people from catching fish and having fun-the land owners have posted their property to prevent the physical land damage associated with the large numbers of dipnetters, associated garbage left behind, lack of restroom facilities, and vandalism.

The statement about use of a canoe or small boat to fish the mouth area is great advice. It is almost always more productive fishing from a boat in the mouth, less muddy, AND, there are no trespass issues!

Thanks for your great job!

PS Attached photo is of a really high tide at mouth....
    Ha, that's funny. I think I actually see myself in that photo you took. Good panoramic picture!

"None of the local land owners are trying to stop people from catching fish and having fun-the land owners have posted their property to prevent the physical land damage associated with the large numbers of dipnetters, associated garbage left behind, lack of restroom facilities, and vandalism."

As I recall from several years back when the property owner on the right side of Fish Creek facing the ocean about half way down and to the mouth explained the problems, and I thought very reasonably, and why he was having to post it, unfortunately a few comments here by selfish, self serving people would have caused me, were I the owner, to close off my land as well. I have also seen numerous times when down there, people, blatantly push his fence down and walk past it to the mouth. I don't blame the guy for being urinated off, and urine isn't he only thing I have encountered along that trail either. I have a trail on my property as well and although not used by dipnetters, I have had problems with people trashing it and tearing up my land and I don't mind considerate use of the trail either. It is a shame few people in every user group have to ruin it for the vast majority of users and dipnetters are not the only ones either. Most of us are good people but somehow we need to get the message out to the self serving that don't give a big fuzzy rats arse as long as they get what they want even at the cost to others. HAUL IT IN, HAUL IT OUT, and respect others and their property.

Appreciate the words! Most Fish Creek dippers are good people. It only takes an occasional person, or group, who thinks they are entitled to do whatever, to catch a salmon, to cause problems. It can become very ugly when this happens! Land ownership of any highly used recreational site can be both a blessing and a curse. Especially true for Fish Creek area, that are all pre-statehood lots...meaning, the lots actually extend to the middle of the creek. As an example, for our lot, which is approximately 4.5 acres, we pay borough property taxes (almost $1000/ year) on our property, which can be under tidal water for the higher high tides (mean high tide level is approximately 28-29' for Fish Creek). While all have the right to be in the creek and below the grasses to fish, there is no right or entitlement to ever trespass on or through posted private lands. It is not a fun thing to feel the need to be physically present on property, just to prevent said trespass issues.Wishing all success at dipping....

Mike, got a pic from 2009. My son at age 6, yes a boy, caught his first ever fish here. Your info page is very good.

Conlon fish crick Aug2009.jpg
    -Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12