Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Fish Creek

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    186

    Default Fish Creek

    Any word yet if it is open or if it will?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Any word yet if it is open or if it will?
    A personal use fishery may be opened by emergency order any time between July 15 and July 31 based on a run projection in excess of 35,000 sockeye salmon.

    Escapement now is just over 4000 fish.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,360

    Default

    Generally speaking it is not opened until the last ~5 days of July if at all. It's way early to venture a guess as to if Fish Creek will open.

  4. #4
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,332

    Default

    Look at EO's tomorrow. Paperwork is in, it will open sometime this week.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Knik
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Look at EO's tomorrow. Paperwork is in, it will open sometime this week.
    Once again, assuming Fish Creek does open, I have lived here in this area since 1977, I love to see kids enjoying our state an our unique activates with their parents. However, I implore you, please leave the little ones and the pets at home for his fishery. That Smuggler's Cove Mud is nasty, treacherous, and just pain dangerous. Don't put your pets or kids in harms way, leave them home, or supervised in the campground the other side of KGB, and out of that mud. I was in on a rescue years ago and though we were successful it was an SOB and I never want to see anything like that again. Be careful, haul it in / haul it out, and enjoy he experience.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Thanks for the heads up. me and my brothers are getting off shift in a couple days. Wasn't able to make it down to the Peninsula this year to dipnet so hopefully I can be out there by Friday if it opens.

  7. #7
    Member TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    391

    Default

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...2017&NRID=2477

    Its open. Agree on the mud. It's a sloppy place. Mud gets all over you, all over the fish
    -Tim

  8. #8
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    Is there dedicated parking for this fishery? Tried to google earth it, but am not sure if I'm suppose to park on the road or take a side street, etc... to access the creek. Appears to be a lot of private property around.

    Anyone know if there is a certain area to park?

  9. #9
    Member TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Is there dedicated parking for this fishery? Tried to google earth it, but am not sure if I'm suppose to park on the road or take a side street, etc... to access the creek. Appears to be a lot of private property around.

    Anyone know if there is a certain area to park?
    Parking is on the side of the road. It can get crowded.
    -Tim

  10. #10

    Default

    Fishing was very slow there this morning. Me and buddy fished the morning incoming tide from 6:00 am until high tide at 10:00 am. We were fishing from a boat and we only caught 8 reds. I talked to several other people and nobody caught any more than we did from what I could tell. Lots of entertainment though. A bore tide came in and just about swamped 3 canoes. A couple people fell in and got wet. One lady lost her dipnet. And some very rude individual came down river and ran into every ones boats and nets. Then he proceeded to pass everyone up to the marker. Then he even went past the marker. A couple people tried to politely remind him that he was in violation, but he just cussed them out and tried starting a fight with several people. After about an hour a trooper showed up and told the guy and several other boats to get back across the line or else he would issue them a citation. It's never boring at Fish Creek. Even if the fishing is slow, you can still enjoy watching the yahoos!

  11. #11
    Member TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Fishing was very slow there this morning. Me and buddy fished the morning incoming tide from 6:00 am until high tide at 10:00 am. We were fishing from a boat and we only caught 8 reds. I talked to several other people and nobody caught any more than we did from what I could tell. Lots of entertainment though. A bore tide came in and just about swamped 3 canoes. A couple people fell in and got wet. One lady lost her dipnet. And some very rude individual came down river and ran into every ones boats and nets. Then he proceeded to pass everyone up to the marker. Then he even went past the marker. A couple people tried to politely remind him that he was in violation, but he just cussed them out and tried starting a fight with several people. After about an hour a trooper showed up and told the guy and several other boats to get back across the line or else he would issue them a citation. It's never boring at Fish Creek. Even if the fishing is slow, you can still enjoy watching the yahoos!
    Thanks for the report. I've always had fun there whether fish are caught or not.
    -Tim

  12. #12
    Member scott_rn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage
    Posts
    803

    Default

    I'm in the water right now. I've seen 4 or 5 fish caught among the 100 or so of my best friends I can see from my vantage.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    176

    Default

    We fished the evening tide until closing. Saw less than ten fish caught. Most of the people walking back from the mouth said it was dead there too. The people in the canoes also said they caught one or two. What few fish we saw get caught were SMALL. Not a good opener.

  14. #14

    Default

    Fishing was way better there this morning. Showed up at 5 am and hardly anybody was there. Me and a buddy pulled out 40 before high tide at 11 am. We saw lots of fish in the creek on the way down to the markers.

  15. #15
    Member TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Very good to hear. Sounds like the slug is in.
    -Tim

  16. #16
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Must have been an incoming tide kinda slug.

    I got up there around 11am today and walked around with my dog for over an hour. We didn't see anyone catch a fish! We did see one guy walk back into the parking area carrying a single sockeye. Everyone else that we spoke to, while they were loading up to leave, said that they got skunked. Finally decided to go home and cut the grass, rather than unload my raft and all the equipment. I'm beginning to wonder if the increased "fish counts" on the ADF&G website are actually "boot counts" walking past the sonar, as there were a lot of cars parked along KGB Road.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

  17. #17
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,332

    Default

    I would say too that this morning's tide was far better than yesterday. A big thing to consider is that the total fish passage into the creek to date are among the lowest if not the lowest, ever, for opening this fishery. This is due to changes made by BOF this spring. SEG was established, with the high end lower than the old threshold of 50,000. Somehow it was determined that the old goal was too high to be sustainable, even though it contained many hatchery fish, and re-produced itself year after year. In past years, when dipnetting opened, the creek had nearly 50,000 or more reds already in it, with many thousands over the weir daily, instead of the several hundred of the past couple days.

  18. #18
    Member powderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Very good to hear. Sounds like the slug is in.
    What's the preferred net for fish creek?
    kenai style with a short pole?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    What's the preferred net for fish creek?
    kenai style with a short pole?
    I don't think it really matters. I think it just depends on if you are fishing from a bank, canoe, raft, or boat. It's not really fast water like the Kenai or the Copper. You are pretty much just sticking your net straight down and holding there. Occasionally there is some current, but for the most part the current is pretty still. We just anchor up and hold our nets straight down underneath the boat. If you have a motor you could troll up and down the river but you want to be careful you don't run into other people. I use a 5 foot Kenai dipnet myself. A lot of guys in canoes use a smaller 4 foot net or even smaller because it is easier to handle in a canoe. I use my raft. It's more stable and you can stand up in it. A little harder to take out though.

  20. #20
    Member TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    What's the preferred net for fish creek?
    kenai style with a short pole?
    I've used a 5 foot Kenai net here also as a shore dipper. It's the easiest shore dipping there is, because like Bushwhack said, the current is minimal. If you have a fairly long pole you can stand up on the bank out of the mud. The creek bed below the bridge is more like a wide ditch with steep banks 4-6 feet to the bottom in places. The drawback to the large heavy nets is you have to hump it in and out with your cooler and fish. I've used a kids snow sled for this. Net bag to prevent snags on trees and brush.

    Pic from 2010:

    Attachment 93954
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •