Thread: Kids and Dipnetting Suggestions

Default Kids and Dipnetting Suggestions

This year we decided to rent a Ft Rich boat and dipnet together as a family, and possibly substitute a couple friends a day or 2 of our rental. With any luck my boys, 6 and 7, won't mutiny and steal the boat and toss me overboard. It is hard to play LEGOS on a rollicking jon boat though right? I just wanted to toss this out and see what, if anything special, preparations any of you have when you bring the kids along? For us, my kids must have a snack each per 15 minutes of road travel so I am thinking a fish tote full of food should do ok and the grocery store is only a couple minutes drive. They might be little but they can eat like a brown bear.
    I don't think my kids can really handle a net yet, I certainly don't want them to go in to the Kenai noggin first, but I do plan on them bonking fish and cutting gills and tubbing fish. Can anyone offer us any suggestions to make the trip memorable for the boys and survivable for mom and I? Thanks.

Mark

Come on no one wants to share advice on here?? Really?
    OK. Then what's the best bear protection caliber?? I bet that would get responses!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

This is the first year I'm bringing my oldest (he's 7). We'll be on the water next week. I plan to keep him busy with fish bonking and maybe clipping fins. I'm not planning anything else to "keep him busy". I've been warning him that it could be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Come on no one wants to share advice on here?? Really?
    OK. Then what's the best bear protection caliber?? I bet that would get responses!

12 gauge shotgun with slugs for bear protection. Kid advice. Keep your expectations low. They will not have as much stamina as you and your wife. If they get tired, let them take lots of breaks. It might be better the first time if you took them dipnetting from shore. That way, they can come and go as they please. If the action is hot, they can try holding a dipnet. If the action is slow, they can play in the sand. Kasilof is a better location for dipping from shore in my opinion. But if you are going in a boat, then I recommend the Kenai. Good luck. FYI, one year I was dipnetting from shore at the Kasilof. There was a family there with about 10 kids. They all had dipnets in the water and they were slaying them. Everyone else wasn't catching a thing, and all these little kids were pulling them in left and right. Just a funny memory I thought I would share. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Whelenator;1601345]Come on no one wants to share advice on here?? Really?

Just my $.02 worth, but assuming Fish Creek opens, and I only refer to there in his scenario, leave the kids and the dogs at home. That Smuggler's Cove Mud is not only messy, but just plain dangerous as hell. I was part of a rescue there years ago and I hope to never see anything like that again as it was a very close call.

As to bear protection, an old gunsmith and pioneer, Bud Leibling once told me a 12ga., starting of with light birdshot going down to slugs. His theory was that with birdshot, put out the bear's peepers and sniffer with that and then finish the job with slugs or Sabots. Hopefully, I never have to find out. I met one person that was attacked and he was incredibly lucky to have lived. I have been within feet and NOT by my choice, of Black and Browns, and one instance I wasn't even aware of and was told by another how close the bear was. Situations you should always avoid whenever possible. For a pistol, I believe in the .44 Magnum or greater as well as bear loads, but more important, practice, practice, practice so if the worst happens, your reactions are automatic.. However, always best to avoid bears.

Best advice for kids... set your expectations accordingly. You're taking them to spend time with them... fishing productivity gets the back seat. Maybe have a spot they can crash out with Mom or a relative while the fishing work continues.

I took mine out at 7- he was good for a couple of hours and that was about it. He got good at bonking and cutting fins after a couple of years.

Cold and wet make the fun come to a sudden stop.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Best advice for kids... set your expectations accordingly. You're taking them to spend time with them... fishing productivity gets the back seat. Maybe have a spot they can crash out with Mom or a relative while the fishing work continues.

I took mine out at 7- he was good for a couple of hours and that was about it. He got good at bonking and cutting fins after a couple of years.

Cold and wet make the fun come to a sudden stop.
    Exactly! Spot on.

Thanks folks. We're dipping at kenai via boat. I'm not physically able to beach dip.

I've been boat dipping with kids your age. Suggest have them in full rain gear and rubber boots rain or shine. The inside of the boat will get sloppy with fish slime and kids are slime magnets. Hose them off when done. Caution with the tail clipping tool on a rocking boat. Maybe blunt nose scissors and watch they don't cut your net.
    -Tim