Thread: Afognak Island Elk - DE723

Default Afognak Island Elk - DE723

Looking for any and all information as to this hunt. Access? etc. Looks like a lot of Native land. Any idea what they will charge? Also...is hunting allowed on Afognak Island State Park? Where does the ferry head to on Afognak (if anywhere)?
    Thanks is advance,
    and congrats on all who were successful,
    Johnny

Default Pillar Lake?

Once again, looking for any info on Elk hunting East Afognak. More specifically, Pillar Lake? Any info would be helpful. Thank you,
    Johnny

I can't be of much help but I can tell you that the Alaska Marine Highway does not stop anywhere on afognak. The closest you will get would be taking the ferry from Homer to Port Lions and getting someone there to take you to Afognak but the transport would be easier made from Kodiak city. I have flown with Andrews Airways on a couple charter flights in and out of uganik and they are good. Hope that helps just a little.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I booked with Seahawk Air. I used him last year for a Kodiak Brownie Hunt. He was definitely 1st Class ! The price is pretty reasonable if split between my partner and I. I'll be going for the Elk, he can concentrate on the Deer.
    Thanks again,
    Johnny

I've hunted Afognak several times. My advice? Hit the gym.

For logistics and planning call Andrew Air or Seahawk Air in Kodiak and chat with them. If you're looking for an upcountry lake camp they're who'll take you there. You can also hunt by boat but expect to climb up and back every day.

You'll be getting letters from the Native Corp about access limitations and the fee schedule. They send letters to all the Afognak permit winners. The air services will have some info on that as well.

Think raingear. Expect to see bears. Don't fear them but be aware and keep a clean camp. I love Afognak but I didn't get lucky this year. If you want more info on what to take and what to expect feel free to PM me.

Default Mr. Pid

Thanks,
    and PM sent.
    Johnny