Thread: Silvers out of Whittier

Default Silvers out of Whittier

This last week end was able to pull a few Silvers out of Whittier. Had to weed through allot of pinks. But fun for the family. Fishing just south of Trinity Point. I sure hope the Silvers come in strong into Whittier this year. Caught them trolling cut bait.

Got these at Crafton

IMG_0160.jpg

Are silvers or pinks ever catchable from shore in Whittier, or do you always need a boat to go find them?

There should be fish available at the head of the bay eventually, usually in August. However I did see reports of people catching fish close to town the other day so it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the reply JR2! That would be really fun to be able to fish from the shore in Whittier, so that's good to know. I didn't get to fish even once last year and now all of a sudden I am itching big time to go lol. At this point I would be excited to catch anything.......pinks in Valdez might have to suffice

Quote Originally Posted by AKcowgirl81 View Post
    Are silvers or pinks ever catchable from shore in Whittier, or do you always need a boat to go find them?
    There are usually fishable numbers from shore in late August all the way through Sept. You can find them in several spots, and can usually see the schools or jumpers. Large schools sometimes gather right in the harbor, and it is legal to fish in there. We've done quite well if we time it right with herring under a bobber and spinners. There are a few other places they tend to school up within casting distance, too. Smitty's Cove and Salmon Run. Don't let a lack of boat stop you.

Same can be said of Seward and Valdez, too...lots of shore-catchable fish....

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    There should be fish available at the head of the bay eventually, usually in August. However I did see reports of people catching fish close to town the other day so it might be worth a shot.

As of about a week ago, there were still some kings milling around the harbor....

Did quite well with Silvers at Pigot last Wednesday evening/Tuesday morning. Trolling hoochies and whole herring. Not fast and furious but steady bite.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Just thought I'd give a update for any shorefishermen or women out there, we went to whitter to get out of town and wet a line for an hour or so, as you can guess a beautiful day, but no sign of anything but pinks from shore as far as we experienced. Be cool to get the kids in on them, we were able even able to be a part of a fine young man to catch his first fish. We were smiling all the way back home. Thought Id share. =) GL

Did excellent at the north end of Culross Island on Friday and Saturday. 12 silvers, two pinks in a few hours of trolling with two downriggers.

We did okay at the South end of Culross last weekend as well. Only got ten silvers but never hooked a pink. Missed as many as we caught, they were not hanging onto the bait very well. Tried smaller hooks, different baits and eventually a Brad's super bait with a single hook and a Fbr with a herring worked the best.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We were using King Kandy - one green full size and one blue cut plug. The fish were puking up copious herring when I was cleaning them.

Shhh - king kandy is secret weapon.

Headed out tomorrow at Noon. Not sure whether we are going down by main bay or staying closer to town. Wife has some ling spots she marked last year on the south end of knight she wants to try out....

We did okay at the South end of Culross last weekend as well. Only got ten silvers but never hooked a pink. Missed as many as we caught, they were not hanging onto the bait very well. Tried smaller hooks, different baits and eventually a Brad's super bait with a single hook and a Fbr with a herring worked the best.

The fbr works great. This is my first year using them and they rotate nice and tight. I broke one off to a fish 2 weeks ago in whittier. Thats what i get for be lazy and not change out my leader

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Can someone please fill me in on what a Fbr is?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Can someone please fill me in on what a Fbr is?
    Franklin Bullet Rotator, awesome herring rigs. Buy them straight from the maker.. http://www.sheltonproducts.com/FBR.html

I have been using them for a free years and they work good on coho. My Father fishes kings in Cook Inlet with them and they work well for that as well. I like the clear/pearl color on the best.

John

Franklin Bullet Rotator, awesome herring rigs. Buy them straight from the maker.. http://www.sheltonproducts.com/FBR.html

I have been using them for a free years and they work good on coho. My Father fishes kings in Cook Inlet with them and they work well for that as well. I like the clear/pearl color on the best.

John

Noted. Thanks!

Edit: Checked out the website. That has to save time rebaiting with the pin. I'm going to have to try those.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Noted. Thanks!

Edit: Checked out the website. That has to save time rebaiting with the pin. I'm going to have to try those.
    You can rebait in seconds. Lift the pin, drop the old head and shove new one in, drop the pin. No more cutting heads off or trying to get the right bend for a nice tight spin.

B&J used to carry them but my Dad was there looking for them the other day and they no longer stock them.