Thread: caribou

Default caribou

i was wandering if anyone could give me some information on the hall road caribou. what kind of drive it is to hunt (miles or hours) and is it permit only or open to hunt?

thanks texhunter

also what kind of restrictions are there on rifle hunting in that area, if any?

thanks, greatly appreciated
    texhunter

Thumbs up

You have to be IBEP or equivalent, certified bowhunter to hunt within the "corridor" since its an "archery only area" to hunt. Check reg's for required archery equipment.

There are no permits needed to hunt for caribou, just a liscence and tag. Check dates in the reg's for how many critters you can shoot and during what timeframes. Brown bear and musk ox, YES, you need a permit!!!

If you chose to hunt with a firearm, then you need to WALK 5 miles to the East or 5 miles to the West of each side of the road. (The road typically only goes north and south). NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES off of the road either. Can't stress that enough and I ain't gonna get into that story...

The drive from Fairbanks to Deadhorse is roughly a good 10 hours (500 mi.), 16 hrs from the valley (850+/- mi.). Give or take an hour depending on how fast you dare to drive.... Once you hit the Livengood cutoff north of Fairbanks (2 hrs), its hit and miss asphalt, mainly gravel, all the way to Deadhorse. The truckers own the road and give them their space. You'll find out the hard way (I've seen it), if you don't.

**IMPORTANT** If and when you see animals, stop and make sure that others aren't already out there hunting them and you don't go blow their stalk. Happens too many times from very inconsiderate people. Hunter etiquette please! Don't park and block gates either or your rig can and will be towed.

Not alot else, read the reg's thoroughly and take them with you, just use your head, and definitely take a rangefinder. Good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by texhunter View Post
    also what kind of restrictions are there on rifle hunting in that area, if any?

thanks, greatly appreciated
    texhunter

its not an easy 5 mile hike you will have to do with a rifle... You need to make 100% sure your five miles. Troopers fly over and make sure your 5 miles out.

Over the counter tags. One bull until oct
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

thanks alot for all the information guys
    greatly appreciated
    tex hunter