Thread: Dipnet Tie-In Arrangement on Rental G3

Default Dipnet Tie-In Arrangement on Rental G3

Hey folks, I am going to try an MWR rental G3 jet boat for dipnetting this season. I went and took a look at one yesterday and trying to figure out how to secure a board or some other way to tie the nets into the boat. Does any of you have a G3 like this or maybe a picture of your rig so I can get my nets figured out before the 17th? My wife and kids and possibly one other guy is supposed to work with us for netting so I could really use some help. Thanks.

Mark MG3 BOW IMAGE.jpg

Chitina dippneting is closed on the 17 - 18th until 6pm. Just in case you didn't know. It dosent take much to keep your nets in the boat. Most of the time I just hook the hoop onto something in the boat and call that good.

To clarify, I'll be dipping the Kenai mouth.

If it's a rental I wouldn't worry about using a 2x4 since I had to bolt mine on and that might not sit well with the rental agreement. I would just run a rope from each bow cleat back to your net. I would stager the nets so when pulling fish in the two nets don't get in the way of each other.

Tie a 2x4 to the cleats, or let the 2x4 sag to the gunnels w rope still holding it the cleats and clamp to the gunnels to keep from shifting side to side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies folks. Akrstabout, I hope you'll be able to join me down there!

I have a somewhat related question about the boat driver being able to wield a net? I looked at a few YouTube videos and seen it being attempted but not sure how many close calls got edited out..
    The G3 I'm supposed to get has an offset helm so I would be away from the port side netter. I'm kind of thinking it would work better doing this during high tide when things are in slow motion and much more roomy on the river. Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    I have a somewhat related question about the boat driver being able to wield a net? I looked at a few YouTube videos and seen it being attempted but not sure how many close calls got edited out..
    The G3 I'm supposed to get has an offset helm so I would be away from the port side netter. I'm kind of thinking it would work better doing this during high tide when things are in slow motion and much more roomy on the river. Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    In our boat the driver never ever dips himself.
    Even with nobody else there you have to take your hand(s) off the wheel to bring in a fish. With all the commercial boats, mooring buoys, rocks, commercial docks, etc. it just isn't safe.
    Throw in the other boats even on a slow day and your asking for trouble.
    On a busy one it's Friday/Sunday night on the seward highway busy plus you have boat wakes etc.
    If the driver wants to dip trade off with one of the others in the boat.
    Bring an equal number of people and nets plus the driver.
    Would you want the boat drivers around you letting go of their steering wheel with your families lives at risk while his/her boat drifted around aimlessly while in gear?
    Would you feel responsible if you ran into another boat causing injury or damage?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'd just tie your nets off to the cleats and not worry about getting them out wide. My cleats are just a little wider than yours and that works fine.

I second the driver not running a net too. I've seen way too many close calls on that. Once a net comes out of the water on one side, the boat wants to veer hard the other way. It's a lot going on at one time with MANY other boats very close by.