Thread: Grumman 19' handling

Default Grumman 19' handling

I picked up a 19' square stern used (in excellent condition for $550), and am thinking of using it motoring up a river of 3000-12000 cfs a few hundred yards in class one and two current with a 4 or 6 hp. Does this handle and track nicely, or should I have a shorter square stern to navigate some turns and standing waves of 6-12"? There are no exposed rocks. Current speed is 1-4 mph and the small outboards seem to be enough. Just fishing with it, for 1-3 guys.

And would it compare with the Osagian 17' square stern for handling?

That's a great deal on the Grumman 19!. I'd say use it and learn it - you will like it. I have both and prefer the 17 Osagian for the better stability, wider transom, higher sides, etc. but the Grumman can get it done too. If river fishing 3 people, the Grumman is better then the shorter Osage - with the extra space between fisherman. As with most any canoe (other than a James Bay...) don't take more gear/weight than necessary and your small outboards will perform.

Good luck and I'm anxious to hear how you like it and about the fishing!

But being 2' longer, is the handling of the 19' much worse in river current with some turns?

with a 15 HP 2 cycle for power, you will never know , you will need a lift if you can't find one, a block of hard wood on the transom to raze it up about 5 inches will do a lot for you , I think, a tiller EXT, handle you will need , west marine will have them, SID

Quote Originally Posted by billfish1984 View Post
    But being 2' longer, is the handling of the 19' much worse in river current with some turns?
    Not enough different to notice imho. In little creeks it's still longer but I don't think the current makes that much different. My 22' James Bay does catch a lot of wind with a 36" tall bow, but does well in current. Remember that I'm in Missouri, not Alaska streams (most of the time).

Thanks Rodbolt! 😎