Thread: "Holly CRAP"......................Hate when that happens....Great Photo.

Default "Holly CRAP"......................Hate when that happens....Great Photo.

As much as I detest that woman personally and professionally, I would think that not seeing a spruce tree with a glassy water surface behind it would be easy to do- Especially in the obstacle ridden environment of Halibut Cove. I've been there on land and water, and flew over it, but never landed there.

I'd be interested to hear some float guy's take on it, like FloatPilot and Headoutdaplane.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you click on the photo, it gets brighter and crisper/sharper. Definitely a great photo.

It appears that the left turn was made pretty quickly, leading me to think the pilot was in a skidding turn. Her bigger error appears to me to be that she got rid of the flaps much too soon! Also, the airplane lost quite a bit of lift when she rolled it out of level flight. She might even had added flaps for additional lift during the aborted takeoff.

I know that adding flaps isn't recommended, but I also know it works. Getting rid of the flaps, plus losing additional left by rolling out of level when she did, actually sealed her fate. Since she was both a little hot and a little high for the landing, I have to wonder if she had also forgotten to flatten the prop?

My $0.02 worth, after many thousands of hours of PIC in a C-206 floatplane or amphibian.

That story is not so easy to follow. Nor is the current NTSB report. Here is the NTSB Report so far: She was alone in the plane when she crashed. The whole story about being with another pilot on an earlier flight was a red herring to put the idea into the head of the reader.( what happens when your lawyer writes your statement ) https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgener.../ReportGeneratorFile.ashx...
    The story is hazy about how she was already at a birthday bash in Halibut Cove, left to Homer and was then returning. There was some wind ( 8 knots or so) that afternoon above the trees and houses but not down at water level in the cove.

You will note that her BFR status was expired by a year. But at least she was ok with her FAA Medical dates.
    Leaving the crash scene, then going home to Anchorage and not the nearby Homer hospital, and then having your statement released by your lawyer tends to set off folk's spider senses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You do know that she is married to a wall street billionaire.

Here is a overhead photo of Halibut cove for folks who have not been there. The little island ( with lots of room on either side ) did have a couple tall and very dead spruce trees. After being trimmed by the Cessna there has been a little more dead tree trimming.

If you are kinda short to begin with, and then start yanking and banking at full power while climbing, it would be hard to see anything ahead of your path. Sometimes glassy water vertigo can really spook a pilot and make them do all sorts of weird things. According to the NTSB report she is not a very high time pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Here is a overhead photo of Halibut cove for folks who have not been there. The little island ( with lots of room on either side ) did have a couple tall and very dead spruce trees. After being trimmed by the Cessna there has been a little more dead tree trimming.
    Wow, that's crazy. The one and only time I ever was there, there wasn't a single house in the area. That place really took off didn't it...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Wow, that's crazy. The one and only time I ever was there, there wasn't a single house in the area. That place really took off didn't it...???!!!
    You were there before Clem?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There were a couple houses over there in the early 60s, and they had already been there for awhile...

Little bit of Halibut Cove history (anecdotal, second person from Clem Tillion over several cups of coffee and lunch on a few occasions- I;m probably screwing up some of the facts)...

Clem got back from WW2 and was kind of a hiptser with long hair living on the beach (in today's terms- his words). He worked in some sawmills?around K-bay; And took advantage of homesteading in Alaska. He settled Halibut Cove, and built a cabin, then a house. When he was established, much later, one of his goals was to get a school started in Halibut Cove- requiring 10 students, therefore creating a community. He either gave away (not sure of specifics) or sold for very cheap several parcels that were subdivided from his original homestead. His intent was to sell or give to young couples to create a family to necessitate a school. Unfortunately, very few if any of the young couples he sold to settled the area, and instead used the property for recreational cabins and vacation houses. Now, due do it's extreme natural beauty and convenient remoteness, has become some really valuable vacation property. Clem never vocalized his disappointment in how it all turned out, but I got a general impression in context that he was disappointed that Halibut Cove became the retreat of the well off rather than the community he hoped for.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    There were a couple houses over there in the early 60s, and they had already been there for awhile...
    Were they tucked back in from shore a bit, as I don't remember seeing any from the boat in the early 80's?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

No, they were dock type houses. There were originally a lot of dock and piling buildings in Halibut Cove starting back in 1910 or 1911. There was a big boom in the herring fisheries in that area until the Great Depression. The thriving saltery and cannery business in Halibut Cove { because Homer did not have a harbor back then.} resulted in peak populations of around 800 to 1000 people during peak seasons. I suspect that not all of them were right in Halibut Cove. They were probably spread out around the Bay and on the bottom side of the Kenai Peninsula.

I know Clem Tillion moved over there in 1948. ( the same year my Dad moved to Alaska coming back from WWII and occupation duty in Japan. ) Clem's daughters Martha and Marian went to school over here with us in Homer. Their dad Clem had become a politician and he used to come over and give presentations to us at school when he was around.
    I think the Ricketts moved over there in 1959 or something like that.. Or maybe they were still in Seldovia back then.. .

I remember visiting somebody in Halibut Cove in the late 60s or early 70s with a skiff. My two buddies and I would mooch a piece of pie in between doing manual labor for places on the south side of the bay.