Thread: Little Su Hazards

Default Little Su Hazards

Floated the Little Su June 5-8 and the water was good and no major hazards. Had a couple of spots that required precision positioning to avoid objects with my 16' cat.

Last weekend we had a flotilla consisting of 7 boats of all sorts. The first day of floating we encountered an island that had shallow water to the right and swift deeper water on the left. However the left also had a fallen tree from the bank that if your profile was under three feet from the water, you possibly could skim underneath. We all chose to work through the right side.

The second day we had a similar situation, except the spruce that fell across the water was on the water, so dragging over was the only option for the first boat in our group. They fortunately warned everyone else to take the right side. This one was not at all obvious until possibly too late.

Cool river camp pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Cool river camp pic!
    Thanks.

Took the drone for this and almost didn't get the shot due to rain the first 2 1/2 days.

Oh yeah! Sounds fun! Been flipped over in that river before by a sweeper, got too complacent and went for a nice swim.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    Oh yeah! Sounds fun! Been flipped over in that river before by a sweeper, got too complacent and went for a nice swim.
    Easy to do.

It's so easy going at most parts that it can distract you from what's ahead. Almost swepped off my passengers a few times.

Great pic! Noob question - never done the Little Su before. What are the best put in/take out spots you can drive to for packrafting? Preferably a day trip, but open to overnight options too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Great pic! Noob question - never done the Little Su before. What are the best put in/take out spots you can drive to for packrafting? Preferably a day trip, but open to overnight options too. Thanks!

I Usually put in at millers reach in Houston and take out at Burma. This is about 15 hour river time paddling moderately in a canoe so, two days is good but might be a little slower in a raft. I think there is a power line trail that may get you down further which could be a good launching point for packraft. Also there may be another access point by trail somewhere in the Biglake area that could make a good day float for packraft. Maybe someone else that knows that trail could chime in, seems to be a secret access point.

Cool - thanks. I'm wondering if you can put in somewhere along Pittman Rd and float to the highway at Houston...