Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you're not going to use a radio, at least use your eyes

I don't need a 4 mile final in the Airbus.

That being said, I've flown 65 mile "finals" from Aniak straight into Shageluk, and 100's of other straight in approaches in VFR conditions. Safety first, economy of operation follows.

Flying the big stuff, we'll get cleared for takeoff with a plane 3 miles out with ref speeds from 140-160 kts. A mile out shouldn't be a big deal with GA stuff. His takeoff roll was around 8 seconds I'm guessing so separation should be more than adequate. Throw all the flaps out and get slowed up and let Mr. Less-than-courteous be on his way.

The good thing is you're the observant one and exercising good situation awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Oh, I don't excuse the fool taking off! I certainly sympathize with you on that account. I was once landing at the South Lake Tahoe airport in a C-180 when I looked up to see a Bonanza landing from the other direction. Downwind, and with no radio contact whatsoever. On the other hand, I was once trying to raise Dillingham while approaching for landing in a C-206, but an obviously inebriated local native flying a Super Cub wouldn't get off the radio.

It takes all kinds, and I guess we've got all kinds. . .
    O.k. you could have just said "inebriated local" and let it go at that. Over and Out.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12