Thread: Red Maule buzzed my neighborhood after City Council complaining about Low Flying

Default Red Maule buzzed my neighborhood after City Council complaining about Low Flying

A couple weeks back we had the FAA down here because people were complaining about low flying aircraft around Homer. Particularly pilots who cut corners and go over the houses on the ridge a wee bit too close.
    So we had a pilot safety meeting. But that was not enough.......
    Then a week later, the City Council had a public meeting because the complainers want to limit our Lake and Airport hours due to the house buzzing yahoos. Of course they did not tell anyone ahead of time. And the NewsPaper got on the Band Wagon.

So everyone (pilots) are on eggshells....

It was just great when a few minutes ago when my house and my complaining neighbors get buzzed by a RED MAULE M-5-235 on floats.
    It is registered to an Anchorage guy, who filed a flight plan.
    Of course my complaining neighbors know I run a flight business so they all assumed it was a buddy of mine when he went over at 75-100ft agl as he headed north. As a result they were over here *****ing within 5 minutes.

Thanks for putting me in that position.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-08-2017 at 11:33. Reason: Poster request
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Feel your pain. Got the blame for a buzz job that took place over a memorial service over the weekend. I'm sure we'll hear more about it tomorrow. Haven't been in the air in 2 weeks.

I get buzzed all the time. Choppers and planes. They ignore the rule around here.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Personally I like low flying planes. As long as it is not at 2 am..
    But the anti-airplane snivelers around here are looking for a new axe to grind.
    And they usually don't have to worry about being at work, so they have lots of time to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Personally I like low flying planes. As long as it is not at 2 am..
    But the anti-airplane snivelers around here are looking for a new axe to grind.
    And they usually don't have to worry about being at work, so they have lots of time to complain.
    Well at least they're not doing it at 2 am here, but dang, it goes on all day. Some of them are much quieter than others.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Try having a house full of napping babies and a float plane infested lake a quarter mile away with a couple of 185's that live there and take off over your house. No one climbs fast around here....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Honestly if they don't like airplane noises they should find another state to live in. California would be accepting. Especially around SMO.

I love the airplane noise.
    On my way to work and on my ride home. I love sunshine too. But to much can wear on you. I love chocolate. But to much makes me sick. I love war movies but my eyes start to get blurry after a while. I love my kids but after a while get burnt out and need an adult conversation. Moving because sometimes noise is inconvient is kinda ridiculous. There will always be something.
    Master guide 212

It does not help when you are already 3 miles direct line or 4 miles via flight-path , away from the airport and lake. The point reached home a couple hours after I made it. no need to drag it out weeks later.

Sorry FP, I'll let it go. But Internet forums. Point may be made but the thread can live on regardless.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    It does not help when you are already 3 miles direct line or 4 miles via flight-path , away from the airport and lake. The point reached home a couple hours after I made it. no need to drag it out weeks later.
    I love airplane noise. But common courtesy (and professionalism) dictates you shouldn't purposely (or brainlessly) fly low over houses. I live under a common route to the Kenai from Anchorage and love watching/hearing the daily traffic. But there's always the occasional jerk who wants to fly 500 feet or lower over the hillside. As with everything, it's the 10% that create rules that the rest of us have to abide by.