Thread: K-Bay Kayak Angling from a different perspective

Default K-Bay Kayak Angling from a different perspective

Had a great weekend watching my son Ryu take a friend of his out fishing on our Hobie Outback Kayaks. They wanted to really go "catching" versus "fishing" so I set them up with smaller gear to go after the flounder, pollock, sculpin, and anythign else that would bite their small cut bait. They must have caught a hundred fish...

Amazingly one of those "anything that will bite" was a nice feeder king my son managed on an ultralight set up.

I spent my time playing around with a new drone to see how I might be able to use it. The hardest thing was learning all of the regulations. Fortunately I did take and pass my Part 107 Drone Knowledge exam so I am now a certified commercial drone pilot. lol. But as it turns out, you can only fly a drone where I was under the recreational rules...until I hopefully get approved for the airspace waiver I submitted to the FAA for future use. FAA allows for you to choose which rules you can fly under depending on use and of course if you have a Part 107 certificate. At any rate....

The second hardest thing was to operate it safely with the people and the boat traffic. A lot of missed opportunities for good shots as I had to increase the altitude substantial whenever there was any traffic. It really doesn't bother my kid, but I am amazed how close large vessels will pass by kayaks going pretty fast.

Still there seems to be potential. Especially if I can learn to land the drone while I am out in my kayak. Not easy with all of the high tech collision avoidance sensors, GPS, and the fact it basically is a flying blender. We will see if its useful or just another toy...

Here's footage from this weekend I put together. Pretty stable and good images for a lower end drone. Lots to learn still about flying it smoothly while operating it safely.

Which drone are you using, Rudy? My father has been wanting one for a while and I'll likely be in charge of picking it out and helping with the learning process.

I am using the DJI Spark. Its really is for beginners but I was interested in its portability and quick launch ability. Firmware still has some bugs in it. But hard to beat for the price. Dji's Mavic is superior in almost every way, but if I drop it into the ocean, its $999 vs $499. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree MR.Rudy. Great son you have there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Had a great weekend watching my son Ryu take a friend of his out fishing on our Hobie Outback Kayaks. They wanted to really go "catching" versus "fishing" so I set them up with smaller gear to go after the flounder, pollock, sculpin, and anythign else that would bite their small cut bait. They must have caught a hundred fish...

Amazingly one of those "anything that will bite" was a nice feeder king my son managed on an ultralight set up.

I spent my time playing around with a new drone to see how I might be able to use it. The hardest thing was learning all of the regulations. Fortunately I did take and pass my Part 107 Drone Knowledge exam so I am now a certified commercial drone pilot. lol. But as it turns out, you can only fly a drone where I was under the recreational rules...until I hopefully get approved for the airspace waiver I submitted to the FAA for future use. FAA allows for you to choose which rules you can fly under depending on use and of course if you have a Part 107 certificate. At any rate....

The second hardest thing was to operate it safely with the people and the boat traffic. A lot of missed opportunities for good shots as I had to increase the altitude substantial whenever there was any traffic. It really doesn't bother my kid, but I am amazed how close large vessels will pass by kayaks going pretty fast.

Still there seems to be potential. Especially if I can learn to land the drone while I am out in my kayak. Not easy with all of the high tech collision avoidance sensors, GPS, and the fact it basically is a flying blender. We will see if its useful or just another toy...

Here's footage from this weekend I put together. Pretty stable and good images for a lower end drone. Lots to learn still about flying it smoothly while operating it safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree MR.Rudy. Great son you have there.
    Thanks Roland! I am super proud of him! He is now on the Hobie Kayak Fishing Team, The Kokatat Fishing Team, and Team Daiwa as well as pro staff for Alaska Raft and Kayak! It's great to have a partner as reliable as he is! lol.