Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bit sad at the waste

I never, ever, ever cut into the gut cavity until both fillets are off and I'm ready to cut off the remainder of the belly strip for the dogs. I don't like any bit of gut juices getting anywhere near my fillets. I won't even lay my fillets on the cleaning station table unless I know it's been cleaned of any guts/gut juices. Why take the time to harvest and care for the meat if you're just going to taint it with guts? And, no, washing/rinsing afterwards does not get it completely removed from the fillet. The oils from the meat will trap some of that yuk no matter how long you rinse it.

Which is yet another reason why I don't allow charter first mates to fillet my salmon using the "one stroke down the side" method. That method cuts into the guts and it is definitely spreading those gut juices onto the meat.

I cut through the back along the spine and fillet the meat off the rib cage. Guts stay inside and you don't end up with rib bones on your fillets.

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    I cut through the back along the spine and fillet the meat off the rib cage. Guts stay inside and you don't end up with rib bones on your fillets.
    That's how I fillet mine as well. You also get a nice belly strip afterwards.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    I never, ever, ever cut into the gut cavity until both fillets are off and I'm ready to cut off the remainder of the belly strip for the dogs. I don't like any bit of gut juices getting anywhere near my fillets. I won't even lay my fillets on the cleaning station table unless I know it's been cleaned of any guts/gut juices. Why take the time to harvest and care for the meat if you're just going to taint it with guts? And, no, washing/rinsing afterwards does not get it completely removed from the fillet. The oils from the meat will trap some of that yuk no matter how long you rinse it.

Which is yet another reason why I don't allow charter first mates to fillet my salmon using the "one stroke down the side" method. That method cuts into the guts and it is definitely spreading those gut juices onto the meat.
    Point is moot when talking to a guy who eats the guts, hahaha .... okay, I have to walk that one back. I'll eat most things, but I have not ever tried fish guts. I will say that I haven't found that a little bit of mixing between meat and abdominal cavity material has resulted in detectable flavoring of the meat, at least nothing to the extent of a land animal, but to each his own...
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    I do the same. I've tried the method of going through the rib bones and removing them at home, but find that I waste far more meat that way. Carefully filleting over the ribs takes a bit more time, but results in less meat waste (for me, anyhow). And, as noted, it leaves a perfect belly slab.

Went dip netting last Friday and wound up with a few fish. Here's a sight you may not have seen before: a grill full of fish heads! It's a lot of work to de-gill and clean up all of those heads, and then to pick through all the meat from the collar and directly behind the skull, but this is the bowl of meat. It's really oily and delicious right off the grill btw. We didn't eat it all, but I vacuum-sealed it and will make a chowder in November.

Anyway, it's a lot of work, but there's a lot of meat on those heads.20170716_191924.jpg20170716_205345.jpg
    My signature is awesome.

I filet some depending on how much room I have in the freezer. I leave the ribs and belly/fin on the fillet, cut the fillet in half, stick it together flesh sides in and vacuum seal. I fillet off the ribs just before grillin. Belly and fin stays on and gets grilled. The rest of the fish we wrap and freeze whole, guts and all. We eat the fillets first, a year later the whole fish are like they were just pulled out of the river. I dip at Chitina.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Went dip netting last Friday and wound up with a few fish. Here's a sight you may not have seen before: a grill full of fish heads! It's a lot of work to de-gill and clean up all of those heads, and then to pick through all the meat from the collar and directly behind the skull, but this is the bowl of meat. It's really oily and delicious right off the grill btw. We didn't eat it all, but I vacuum-sealed it and will make a chowder in November.

Anyway, it's a lot of work, but there's a lot of meat on those heads.20170716_191924.jpg20170716_205345.jpg
    I just did fish heads over the weekend, too! We roasted our in the oven and made a spicy Vietnamese soup to go with them. Dammit, it was incredible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12