Thread: More shock problems

Default More shock problems

All, I need some help here...Here is the saga...

I have a 2014 Honda Pioneer that is lifted with 29.5" tires on it. It has ACT front and rear shocks (rear shock model 1703-795). I believe these are actually snow machine shocks. About a month ago I noticed that one of the rear shocks had blown seals. I had it rebuilt by Dan Ryznar (Who has been seriously awesome though this whole process by the way. Stand up guy that does great work!!!). The plastic adjuster that threads onto the body was cross threaded but hadn't been causing problems previously (250 miles or so on it) so we decided to just let it be. When I put the shock back on the machine the spring wasn't straight and rubbed the cylinder of the shock leaving some scaring on the metal and so we decided to replace it. When I did this I also had Dan rebuild the other rear shock as it was leaking too and I figured that if I was taking them off I might as well replace the seals in that one too. I noticed that the adjuster was slightly (much less noticeably) cross threaded on that one too. Again...this one wasn't an issue and the spring didn't rub so we just put it back on. Yesterday I was about 9 miles back puritan creek trail and BANG the adjust broke all the way off (they are plastic). We had to limp out with a fully compressed shock and a spring spanning from the A-arm to the upper shock housing on the frame (BUMPY ride). I think the shock is, miraculously, ok (seals appear to be in tact, isn't leaking, and it has its tension still).

So here is the issue. The PLASTIC spring tension adjuster on these shocks appears to be crap and are easily cross threaded and when they are...they apparently break under the weight of my machine. We have ridden this thing for about 150 miles since we bought it without problems until now. Ryznar assures me that these shocks should work fine on this machine. I found some aluminum adjuster rings that will thread onto the shock and I suspect this may help fix the problem, but am curious what y'all think...

Also, though Dan is SUPER LEGIT, I know that he doesn't usually do this work during the summer and I don't want to be a pain in his butt bringing him the shocks once a week...so does anyone know anyone else that may be able to get new aluminum spring adjusters on these if Dan is too busy to help me out? It looks like it requires some tools that I do not have in order to thread the new adjusters on...

Pics below. (you can see the plastic adjuster on the top of the spring on the shocks still installed on the machine). IMG_5168.jpgIMG_5167.jpg

Dan is the man. I'd go back to him and let him resolve the issues you are having. Or go see Chad @ A2D sled works in anc and buy a full set of aftermarket shocks $$$$

[QUOTE=MT2AK;1599875]So here is the issue. The PLASTIC spring tension adjuster on these shocks appears to be crap and are easily cross threaded and when they are...they apparently break under the weight of my machine. We have ridden this thing for about 150 miles since we bought it without problems until now. Ryznar assures me that these shocks should work fine on this machine. I found some aluminum adjuster rings that will thread onto the shock and I suspect this may help fix the problem, but am curious what y'all think...

If you use two or three plastic tension adjusters on each shock I would think that would be the cheapest way to solve the problem.

Another vote to let Dan figure out the issue. He has a great reputation and I highly doubt you are being bothersome to him. I also think you are on the right track ditching the plastic adjusters and going with the aluminum ones. I'd run it by Dan and get his thoughts on it as well. Good luck!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I too have a Pioneer. Not sure if your is a 700 or 1000, but alot of the 700 guys including myself went to Can Am Commander shocks. Direct bolt on up front and the rear just requires a new busher and sleeve. Made a world of differance. I was able to pick up a set on Craigslist for $300. Might be worth checking into and forget these problems

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I called around all over the place looking for aluminum adjusters for my ACT shocks and apparently the one company that was making them (Deycore) has sold off all their parts and stopped making them as of August 2016. I called the company that they sold to (Carver Performance) and they don't have any left. The Arctic Cat Dealer in Eagle River was able to order me 5 of the plastic adjusters though so my last ditch effort with these things is to double them up and see if twice the amount of threads will give the adjuster a little more traction to hold the spring tension without slipping. If that doesn't work I am just going to ditch the rear shocks and go to a Can Am. Two more questions.

1) I had posted previously about whether or not a shock should be shaft up or shaft down...with the second adjuster nut just threaded on behind the first will I definitely need to put them shaft down so that the adjusters are on top as to keep the second nut snugged up to the first and not spinning down? Or...are the threads on those things tight enough that it won't matter for that second adjuster? I am guessing the shaft will need to go down to let gravity do it's job with the second adjuster nut.

2) If I end up replacing them all together how do I determine the optimal shock length for my machine given the 3" lift kit? Just trying to figure out how I determine which shocks will or will not be a good fit. Thanks to @gokorn1 I have been looking at the Can Am Commander shocks and they seem like they would work, but I am not sure what the stated shock lengths are...do they measure total length vs. travel length vs. eyelet to eyelet vs. end to end etc...

I am a rookie, but learning a heck of a lot about my machine and suspension systems in general through this process. Your all's help has been extremely valuable and appreciated!

Ryan

These guys might be able to help more.
    https://hondasxs.com/threads/pioneer...r-shocks.3593/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the ACT shocks come with the lift kit, or were they on the machine when new? I would think the simple answer would be to get a replacement shock that is the same length as the ones you have. The simple answer is not always the correct one. Have you contacted a machine shop to see what it would cost to have some aluminum keepers/adjusters made? What model Can- Am are the retrofit shocks coming off of? Outlander, or Maverick?
    Oops, gokor1 already answered that one.

One more thing, just to muddy the water, but isn't the ACT shock basically a cheaper copy of a fox shock. Maybe the fox shock spring adjuster would fit?

Thanks fellas,
    I have not contacted a local machine shop to see if they can fab aluminum adjusters but that is an idea. I believe the Can Ams that fit are from the Commander but I would need to do a little more looking into it if I decide to go that route. They are similar length with a similar travel distance to what I have on there now though I do know that much. The fox adjusters don't fit because they have a finer thread than my ACTs. Apparently I am "lucky" enough to have an older ACT shock that has a thread model they only used for a couple years around 2007 or so. Oh well.

My plan is to try the doubled up adjuster nuts and if that doesn't do the trick the ACTs will be going bye bye. Ain't nobody got time to have their machine on jacks in the garage in the middle of the summer...and hunting season is getting close!!!

Well...in the end...I could not find the plastic spring preload adjuster that I needed. They aren't manufactured anymore by Arctic Cat and so unfortunately I am just SOL. I did find an awesome guy in MN named Mike Carver with Carver Performance. Sells shock parts and does custom builds. He has been SUPER helpful and is actually going to build me a new set of Fox Zero Pros for the rear of my machine. He is going to make them to the same dimensions as my previous ACTs. Can't thank Mike enough for all his help and would definitely recommend him to anyone looking for shock parts or custom builds.