Thread: Dogs at Rendezvous?

Default Dogs at Rendezvous?

We're about to head down to Delta to check out the Muzzleloader Rendezvous. Debating whether or not to bring the dog. I can't seem find any information about rules. Has anyone here been to a rendezvous in Alaska who happens to remember if folks were bringing dogs or not? Thanks!
    Louis Knapp

How did it go? I didn't respond because I have no experience along those lines.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

For me I would leave mine behind.
    Dogs always cause issues as 98% are not as well behaved as the owner thinks they are.
    I like dogs but there are times and places they just don't belong.
    Public gatherings being one of them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    How did it go? I didn't respond because I have no experience along those lines.
    It was interesting. It was the first one I'd ever been to so didn't completely know what to expect.

We came in at the tail end of it, so things were winding down, including the shooting events, so I did not participate in any shooting. Turns out that the Lyman aperture sights on my Great Plains Rifle wouldn't have been kosher for that venue anyway. We watched a kids tomahawk throwing contest....those kids were GOOD!

One thing we were not prepared for was that everyone was in period clothing and they really like visitors to dress that way also.

We did not bring the dog, but found a number of dogs around. They said there was no problem at all with dogs as long as they were leashed in the camping area.

Anyway, seemed like a great bunch of folks. I ran into a close neighbor there whom I had no idea was really into traditional muzzleloaders, so that was worthwhile.
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I ran into a close neighbor there whom I had no idea was really into traditional muzzleloaders, so that was worthwhile.
    Wahoo! That's the best kind of news. It's just a lot more fun if you can get together with buds now and then. About 20 years ago there were only two of us doing it in our neighborhood. Having so much fun some other guys got interested, and gradually we've built it up to a little over a dozen. Not all the guys shoot all the time, but it's not usually much trouble to find someone to shoot with. Come fall we might have as many as 10 shooting at the same time. Most folks wouldn't call it a "club" though. Kinda in keeping with the neighborhood, no monthly meetings, no dues and no dress rules. Only rules we have are all about safety. There's been known to be a side bet here and there, too! Just who buys coffee, but dang, does the shooting ever get serious when a free cup of coffee is at stake!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard