Thread: Bait activity timing

Default Bait activity timing

What would you guys say is your most active bait times? And when does it seem to slow down? It seemed late June for me slowed down a bit while mid June was the most active. Baits didn't get hit till third week of may.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Late May had the Most activity, browns were nocturnal, blacks were all day and night.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

What unit you working bk?
    Master guide 212

16b
    Went quiet in early June, don't know if moose were calving or more activity on the river pushed 'em out but it slacked off considerably and we stopped feeding them mid June.
    Last week of May though it had lots of activity around the clock.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

We set bait May 15th in 16A, 2 days later had a grizzly come in and destroy it. But I was stuck up on the slope for what seemed to be the prime time. Most activity was mid May to first part of June. Than it slowed down with mostly small grizzly and only few blackies coming in. Partner killed a 7' grizz mid June but was pretty slow activity even than. Had a shooter grizzly coming in the past week, almost bagged him the other night using BaitEm907 burn but wouldn't provide a good bow shot(clearing more brush next year), if I had more time i'd kept hunting as it was a frequent visitor. Slow season over all and most grizzly were nocturnal, might try another or second site next season.

I make it a rule not to even set up before Memorial weekend in Unit 13 and like clock work, June 2nd it's on. Did too many years of "post holeing" and also wasting kitchen passes and gas driving up to check baits. We've had constant killing every weekend this year and even had a nice double night. We took 5 bears. One cinnamon, three blacks and took a beautiful 8' grizz last Saturday night at 10:15pm. Had a 22-3/16" skull. All bears except the cinnamon (killed at 7:15am) were killed between 10pm and 11:30pm. Oh.. and all bears killed with 5 bags of dog food at $16.99, 3 bottles of imitation vanilla at $1.99 and a few "work" donuts. Jabbing ya Jake(wink)..

Oh and a side note, I read somewhere a discussion about the carcasses. We left all carcasses on site where they died except the first bear. I have a video of two bears coming in at the same time from two different directions and meeting right at a carcass in the trail. They didn't even care, both stepped right over it and kept coming in. A few other nights watched bears come in weaving thru the carcasses with not a care in the world. I have never noticed any problem leaving the carcass at the site except for personally putting up with the smell. The grizz this year actually drug one carcass up the hill and semi burried it..

I might be tempted to leave carcasses if they were black bears, but when dealing with grizzly I like to keep things consistent and unchanged as much as possible if it's working.

I was hit a week before you! (Jab jab)....maybe cause I invested a little more in my bait station?! Lol it sure is worth it no matter what you choose to do when that first bear walks in while your sitting! We had two black bears show up this year....not sure where they came from. One will not be returning...
    Master guide 212

Typically out in PWS May 15th - 20th the baits start getting hit. The past 2-3 years have not been normal with the snow fall though and movement.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We left the grizzly carcass out at our site and for almost two weeks there was little to no activity. Had no way of moving it as we use boat access and no wheeler. Next time I'll be sure to move it whether I have to cut it up and pack it aways.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    We left the grizzly carcass out at our site and for almost two weeks there was little to no activity. Had no way of moving it as we use boat access and no wheeler. Next time I'll be sure to move it whether I have to cut it up and pack it aways.
    Don't know about grizz but with black bear carcass the blacks are usually are on them and have them gone in short order.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Interesting. Here's a 9'7" griz carcass after only 48 hours in the very spot it was shot. Mostly birds ate it I believe but it seems that at least birds would be all over a carcass, and where there are birds, predators soon follow. I would certainly think other bears would be included in this mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Seen birds all over a carcass and never a bear touch it or come check it out. May not matter sometimes but I'd rather keep my site clean and not make it look and smell like a graveyard. Every bear is different though. But if I got a site that's working I'm not gonna change it.
    Master guide 212

I've been annually baiting a site in 16A along the Chulitna River for the past dozen years or so, and I baited 14A before that off and on since 1986. At my current site I am consistently able to get to it as early as May 1st -3rd, and that's when I first lay bait and set the camera. I usually get hit on or about the third day afterwards, which appears to be the magic number with gut piles everywhere, too.

This year was different. There was no activity during the cold weather spell in mid-May. It was like the bears went back into hibernation.

I usually see most of my activity between May 5th and June 5th, and the middle of that timeframe (May 20) is almost always busy (again, not this year).

Despite baiting for at least 20 of the past 30 years, I've bever shot a bear over bait. I'm very picky.

Despite baiting for at least 20 of the past 30 years, I've bever shot a bear over bait. I'm very picky.

Your just feeding them and helping them thru the spring months!! Lol. I've only been baiting for two years, still learning as I go, but both years it's been third week of may before bears have hit the bait. Mid June has been the hottest activity both years.
    Master guide 212

I just love being out in the spring watching bears, I guess. I'd shoot more of them if my wife would let me.

You're up in higher altitudes, aren't you?

I'm still in the timber, about 2400'. I did see baits go flat
    Dead after a short time with people activity around. First time I had seen that.
    Master guide 212

I'm within earshot of the Parks Hwy, but I've never had human visitors at my site, and this was the first year I've even seen people who aren't zooming by at 70mph.

The reason I left 14A behind was because of crowding. Baiting got real popular in the 90's.

This year was about 2 weeks later than last year as far as activity hitting. from Late May - June most activity was between 10pm-6am but I had some satellite bears hitting at noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm as well as some mid morning hits. Into July bears were still hanging late evening through early morning. Had bears hitting within 12 hours of kills some within 3-4 hours.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."