Thread: White Sox bites....

Default White Sox bites....

Does anybody happen to know a sure fire way to stop a bad reaction from white sox bites? Believe it or not this is the second time my wife has been bitten on her eyelid and has had it swell up so bad it pretty much closes her eye shut....and she even had safety glasses on this time! She's got real sensitive skin and just can put any harsh stuff on her face. I tried to get her to put a dab of Neosporin on the bite but she won't. All she really wants to do is but lavender oil on it and keep icing it. But it just doesn't work fast enough. Just wondering if anybody has anything else that might be more effective? Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Try taking a couple of benadril? I know that works for many folks that have allergic reactions to bee stings.

I got bit by a no-see-um last year, and for the first time in my life, and 45 years of living around those little devils, I had an allergic reaction which lasted for weeks and may have contributed to outbreaks of itching all winter long! Yes, Benadryl works. In some cases vinegar will work also. I have also used corn starch. I hate white sox, and no-see-ums!

Depending on where you are at the time of the bite, there are several plants that are helpful. The most commonly used is "Plantain". Plantain is a "weed" that grows on disturbed soils. Disturbed soils are areas such as in trails, along sidewalks, in and by driveways, lawns, fields etc. To use it in a quick on-the-spot situation, put a couple of the leaves in your mouth and chew them up quite well (they are edible). Once you have them well masticated, take the wad out of your mouth and place on the bite. You will often times be surprised at the rapid reduction in both pain and swelling. Since plantain grows on disturbed soils, it is not the first go-to remedy when deep in the woods since you most likely won't find any nearby. In that case the hot pounded roots of devils club, crushed bulbs of wild (or domestic) chives, or willow leaves chewed and applied the same way as the plantain. My wife and I were out hiking when she got bit 3 times by bees. She asked me what to do so I had her chew willow leaves and apply them to the bite areas. Within 5 minutes she said 80% of the pain was gone. Any or all of these plants could be made into an herbal salve which would be handy to carry with you for immediate use when or if it was needed. To make an herbal salve consisting of your plants, some olive (or other) oil, and beeswax, do a search online and there will be plenty of tutorials for making herbal salves.

1st outline the area of reaction with a sharpie. If the red inflamed area leaves the lines you have an infection and need to see a doc.
    2nd scratching will make things worse and can lead to an infection.
    I'm a wilderness EMT and deal with this all summer at the Scout camp I work with. This is what I do
    1) wash the area with soap and water
    2) outline the inflation
    3) apply hydrocortisone topically
    4) cover bite with bandaid
    5) ice to control itching until hydrocortisone kicks in.
    6) Benadryl if they have multiple bites.
    Change dressings and reapply hydrocortisone twice a day
    Apply insect repellent

It works. Had one kid with over 40 bites two weeks ago, and stopped his reactions

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBugle View Post
    1st outline the area of reaction with a sharpie. If the red inflamed area leaves the lines you have an infection and need to see a doc.
    2nd scratching will make things worse and can lead to an infection.
    I'm a wilderness EMT and deal with this all summer at the Scout camp I work with. This is what I do
    1) wash the area with soap and water
    2) outline the inflation
    3) apply hydrocortisone topically
    4) cover bite with bandaid
    5) ice to control itching until hydrocortisone kicks in.
    6) Benadryl if they have multiple bites.
    Change dressings and reapply hydrocortisone twice a day
    Apply insect repellent

It works. Had one kid with over 40 bites two weeks ago, and stopped his reactions
    That is great advice. Thank you!