Thread: Kasilof reports?

Default Kasilof reports?

According to the ADF&G sonar, the Kasilof has reds in numbers similar to last year. Has anyone been down there dipping yet? Inquiring minds want to know.

Friend of ours went up yesterday and got one...not sure what the tide was doing at the time....I might go up tomorrow or this weekend for sure....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Was in Trustworthy last friday.
    A guy came in saying he got 300 in his PU setnet.
    She said "wow really"
    He then said "I've got 130 in the back of my truck right now" and then "oops guess I shouldn't admit that". Most likely a wee bit over his limit I suppose.
    Anyway sounds like a few came in but they did have some commercial setnet openers so that likely slowed things a little.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Went up yesterday PM, good little pulse of fish about two hours past slack low tide...caught a nice plump hen in four hours of fishing....nobody else was doing any better. Water seems a bit cooler than last year....new parking lot on north side is real nice, too!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Night of 06/30 into morning of 07/01, 14 fish, one net, north shore, outgoing tide.

We were up there from the 28th - 3rd of July (2 families). We camped at a camp ground not too far away from the beach. Here is the run down:
    28th (3 nets / 3 people fishing) 4 fish total (Fished high tide going out for a few hours) just to get a judge on numbers. Current was VERY strong (most of us were putting nets up stream and running down with them with the current) after 2-3 runs we got tired and just stood next to our nets in the water (it worked but was SLOW fishing)

29th (3 nets / 3 people fishing) slow again 3 fish (tide out - slack - incoming tide) fished several hours not many fish were brought in

30th (4 nets / 4 people fishing) slow again in the morning (2 fish) then slow again in the evening (3 fish)

1st (4 nets / 4 people fishing) Slow again managed 5 fish had to work for them. We did have a few that managed to get out (could have maybe caught 7-8) fished about 5-6 hours through the cold, rain and wind

2nd (4 nets / 4 people fishing) My buddy, his son and I shot up to the russian / kenai while my wife and the other kids went fishing (we were hoping to limit out on the russian and take advantage of the double limits.. but things did not go as planned but was a great adventure up the river with rods and reels). Wife sends me a text that she has 15 in the cooler and the run is strong. We arrive to the beach after getting our butts kicked on the river.. ended the day with 25 in the cooler. They fished from 2PM - 1030PM (us guys never did hear the end of the "you got beat by a girl" from my wife... go figure.

July 3rd: We were heading out Monday night to avoid the traffic. We broke down camp and headed to the kasilof around 330-4. Fished until 830 and had 15 more in the cooler. Fished high tide going out through slack tide. (4 nets)

Both my family and my buddies did not "tag out" but we do plan on heading back down for the 2nd run. We were hoping to both punch our 75 fish family tag limits (families of 6 each) but we are still happy with the outcome. We were smart this year and came down with our deep freezer and generator as well as vac sealer so it made meat care excellent. I am now up pulling 24hr smoking duty so my wife can enjoy her smoked sockeye with cream cheese on a ritz cracker lol.

we were fishing the south shore
    Last edited by ProHunterAK; 07-06-2017 at 02:11. Reason: added location

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

how is the camping on the northshore? do people have to camp on the pavement? how is it working?

06/30 to 07/01 north shore had plenty of beach camping when I arrived in the evening, I pulled straight up near the water at high tide. However, more folks showed up as the night progressed, with more campers setup farther back, near and along the road. I suspect it is a function of weekday vs weekend, time of day, etc.

Just a reminder do not camp inside the fences on the dune grass.
    The fences are there for a reason and the dune grass is critical habitat.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

so the only camping spot there is the paved area? how big is it and how many can camp there? I will be heading down with my enclosed trailer.