Thread: Petersville?

Default Petersville?

Anyone have any experience with Petersville public area? I was out there this weekend and it was a lot of fun, didn't get any mining in though. I'm just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks for this area. Thanks!

I used to go out there years ago with my 3" combo to play around. It's so beautiful out there I never really minded not finding much gold.

The best thing to do when you get there is grab your shovel and a pan, starting walking the creek and testing spots. That area has been worked over and over so don't count on finding big stuff but the flakes should keep your interest piqued.

The friendly people I met out there was a nice bonus. Everyone stopped to chat and the day-trippers coming out to find a few flakes with the family/kids made for very enjoyable weekends out there.

Hoof it on down Cache Creek to Nugget Creek and turn upstream (past the old Morgan Pit) and go upstream another couple hundred yards. Pan anywhere you find bedrock tipped up to reveal its location.

If the camp at Nugget Bench is not active, that is . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Hoof it on down Cache Creek to Nugget Creek and turn upstream (past the old Morgan Pit) and go upstream another couple hundred yards. Pan anywhere you find bedrock tipped up to reveal its location.

If the camp at Nugget Bench is not active, that is . . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the area you describe is outside of the recreational mining area. If so, always check the claim status for any area you intend on working so you're not claim jumping (stealing). And it's fairly safe to assume that entire area outside of the rec area is claimed.

"If it's not active, that is..." Uhh...so like sneak in when nobody is looking? No thanks...

All I can say is that I used that strip for more than forty years . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    All I can say is that I used to strip for more than forty years . . .
    I kind'a had a feeling that you was wired-up different.