Thread: Boat Rental Blues

Default Boat Rental Blues

It's a long story, but the short version is that I had planned on renting a boat out of Homer in mid-June and again next week, but due to mechanical problems the boat is not ready to be taken out.

Any ideas, particularly out of Homer? I usually have access to a boat in Whittier, but my family's boat is still out of the water getting the engine replaced. My in-laws are in town and really want to catch some halibut, but can't realistically afford the $200+ per person for a charter. I know about the Whittier boat rentals, but unless we run 40-60 miles out of town, the halibut fishing is spotty at best. My father-in-law is not the most patient fisherman, so I was planning on Homer due to the faster catch rates. I can't find any other boat rentals in Homer, but maybe there is something I'm not thinking of.

We're kicking around the idea of the half-day charter in Homer, but I sure would rather do it on my own.

-Brian

your option are limited right now. I agree with you about Homer and Whitter... Half day charters might be the only route you can go.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Last time we were in Homer, we "rented" a boat and captain for the day (we have a large family). We contacted Inlet Charters and they put us on the "Beaver". The captain was awesome and we had a wonderful and productive trip. We weren't going for any record breakers, just good eating fish.

If you or any member of your group are retired military I think there are still salt water boats available on Elmendorf......I know they still have river boats or at least I have see a couple with their markings.......maybe they have shut it down and sold off the gear but anyway......worth checking.

Thanks for the tip, Gus, but not military folks here. Well, my father-in-law was in the army for four years a long time ago, but didn't retire from the service.

How many and what days????? I am heading south tomorrow........

4 of us, and will probably be in Homer on Thursday, though Wednesday or Friday are possibilities.