Thread: More Leather

Default More Leather

I wanted binoculars and a case more in line with the muzzleloading era, so went to digging. I found what I was looking for in this setup from the civil war photographed by the NPS. No luck yet finding good quality repro binocs of the same style (lots of trash out there), so decided to make a case for my modern binocs. Here 'tis. I'll make another case once I find the right old-style binocs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

That is handsome leather work

Grandpa had a brass telescope that had real clear glass. It had a real nice leather leather case and leather strap for carrying it over the shoulder. I remember looking through it when I was a kid and remember how grandpa considered it a prized possession. I don't know what ever happened to that glass but when a certain uncle dies and his kids have a big sale and sell off everything that he owns and they will, you can bet EKC will be there with a thick wallet after that glass, a hatchet, a Bowie knife and gramp's fiddle.

It's funny how all that stuff from the by gone days means so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Here 'tis. I'll make another case once I find the right old-style binocs.
    BB.....Way back when I started guiding I picked up a pair of, what they call, "traditional" style Swarovski binos. If I understand you correctly they are what you would call "old-style" binos.....if you saw them sitting on the front seat of the truck you wouldn't know them from a cheap set of old Tascos or Bushnells. As far as I know Swarovski still sells them but you just don't see them offered in retail stores. The nice thing about them though is that they are way cheaper than the ones you see in stores but still have that great Sworovski glass. If you are interested let me know and I'll look for the model number on mine so you can call Swarovski and ask about them....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks. I know what you're talking about, but I'm looking more for the all-brass types from the early days of bino's around 1850. Cool looking for sure, but I want to find some that work well too.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Grandpa had a brass telescope that had real clear glass. It had a real nice leather leather case and leather strap for carrying it over the shoulder. I remember looking through it when I was a kid and remember how grandpa considered it a prized possession. I don't know what ever happened to that glass but when a certain uncle dies and his kids have a big sale and sell off everything that he owns and they will, you can bet EKC will be there with a thick wallet after that glass, a hatchet, a Bowie knife and gramp's fiddle.

It's funny how all that stuff from the by gone days means so much now.
    Elmer, your PM box is full