Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2017-2018)

try again please

Hi Rich my email is mwilliams@gesequipment.com

Spent 3 days with my son on the Paxson trying to find his first caribou. We put it a lot of miles on foot through some very wet terrain but only saw a couple of caribou after a lot of glassing. Was still a great hunt and we put together some great spot and stalks on ptarmigan, spotted numerous cow moose and calves, red fox, beaver, waterfowl.... just not much in the way of caribou. Didn't even see many in the wheeler crowd with much to show in terms of meet or horns. Was pleasantly surprised to see less trash than prior years, but the amount of roadside the toilet paper and gut-piles, rotten hides or carcasses was disappointing.

I have a similar report to the last. Spent a long weekend at Butte lake and near the McLaren getting away from the road on atv. Only saw 8 caribou per day, mostly cows with calves and a couple single cows. Not one bull spotted. Kids did score on some ptarmigan so they were excited, but the caribou hunting was slow. Spoke with lots of other hunters reporting the same.

Spent 5 days last week on Tyone River. Saw about 20 cows and calves, no bulls. Headed back up tomorrow.

Tagged out last weekend; first pullout after the Paxson closed area. Spent some time with the glass and found small groups in the hills, was gearin up to go after them when a year-old bull stopped to watch us...well, no reason to chase them when they come to you! Whole season lasted about 45 minutes. Thanks to everyone here for all the helpful suggestions! Would have just driven on by if not for everyone here saying to glass, glass, glass!
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by kbskinny11 View Post
    Is this a unit 13 caribou reports thread, or a unit 13 BS about politics thread?
    This is definitely not a BS thread. I've gotten valuable info on filling my Yeti YC568 tag and almost hit this guy last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by platas View Post
    If you see two cows and one calf how do you tell which is the calf's mother? I thought I had it figured out on Friday but then the calf walked up beside the cow I planned to shoot and a Raven cawed at them and they took off. If there are two cows will the one take over as the calf's mother if you shoot the real mother? Probably I'm over thinking all this and wish I'd have taken the shot when I had a chance.
    Shoot the smaller cow. The big one always seems to be the mom. I've orphaned at least two, maybe three over the past years by shooting the biggest one in the group. Both were groups of 8-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Shoot the smaller cow. The big one always seems to be the mom. I've orphaned at least two, maybe three over the past years by shooting the biggest one in the group. Both were groups of 8-15.
    Thanks. Sounds like I made the right call me then to not shoot, as I was lining up on the larger cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    ......The big one always seems to be the mom. I've orphaned at least two, maybe three over the past years by shooting the biggest one in the group. Both were groups of 8-15.
    Good job, yeti hunter. Maybe you're the reason why yetis are nearly extinct?

There is nothing quite like those moments you have when your kid succeeds, especially when they have their firsts. My 11 yr old boy has hunted with me the last two years and this year was his year to be the tag holder. We got on to the caribou pretty quickly and he took this bull on our second day out. There was one real big bull in the group but he wouldn't step clear of another one that was behind him so my boy decided to take this one and not run the risk of hitting two by accident. I cleared a little shooting lane for him so he could make a prone shot with my .300 and he dropped it in its tracks at 297 yds! I was **** impressed! I'm still grinning ear to ear!!

Any new updates? Headed up this weekend and looking for any info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    There is nothing quite like those moments you have when your kid succeeds, especially when they have their firsts. My 11 yr old boy has hunted with me the last two years and this year was his year to be the tag holder. We got on to the caribou pretty quickly and he took this bull on our second day out. There was one real big bull in the group but he wouldn't step clear of another one that was behind him so my boy decided to take this one and not run the risk of hitting two by accident. I cleared a little shooting lane for him so he could make a prone shot with my .300 and he dropped it in its tracks at 297 yds! I was **** impressed! I'm still grinning ear to ear!!

Very nice!!! Dad you did well and the son did very good also!!!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing, Ptarmigan! Impressive first caribou. That is parenting done right. I look forward to getting my daughters out in the outdoors with me.

There is nothing quite like those moments you have when your kid succeeds, especially when they have their firsts. My 11 yr old boy has hunted with me the last two years and this year was his year to be the tag holder. We got on to the caribou pretty quickly and he took this bull on our second day out. There was one real big bull in the group but he wouldn't step clear of another one that was behind him so my boy decided to take this one and not run the risk of hitting two by accident. I cleared a little shooting lane for him so he could make a prone shot with my .300 and he dropped it in its tracks at 297 yds! I was **** impressed! I'm still grinning ear to ear!
    Fantastic...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Awesome!!!

Nice bou by the kid and sounds like a hell of a shot!

Headed up tomorrow! Looking to bag my first caribou!

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    Any new updates? Headed up this weekend and looking for any info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not as timely as you want but here is what I saw when up there (first hunting trip with the oldest kiddo):

Some road runners in the ahtna lands and sourdough area encountered on Sunday morning on our way up to McLaren area. All calves or juvenile.

Out ~3-4 miles on McLaren summit, there was a group of 6, but moving away and 1 mile away, so no luck. Heard from others who got out early morning they only saw far off caribou as well. The hail, and it was hard, was not helpful to mood or glassing. A party on horses went out late (3pm?), and we saw them going further out, and we did hear some gunshots late evening so maybe that was them?

Tuesday, nothing but calf+mom combos at alpine lodge area where we went for change of pace.

Didn't glass anything from our camp a mile or two from McLaren summit in the mornings or evenings, but the kiddos patience could've been a factor. Only saw one party of the several camped around the area with meat hanging tho...

Nothing of note on drive out Wednesday morning.

Despite lack of luck, the kiddo enjoyed the first trip with me and we did bag some Ptarmigan.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Excuse the ignorance, but how does this hunt compare to the 40 mile herd? Assuming you get away from the road..

Getting ready to head up to the Denali Highway to hunt on foot. Has anyone seen significant recent activity in the Clearwater controlled use area or the high ridge south of the road by MacLearan Summit? Trying to figure out which place most likely to have success before season ends. Thanks in advance.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast